Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing admin password

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:44 PM

I've had no password on my Win 7 machine for years. I recently created one as an administrator because I had some guests over. Now I want to go back to no password. Windows says, "Windows is not able to change your password". Huh?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,045 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

Try using the command line: Type CMD in the search box Right click run as Administrator and type:

net user username ""

Username being the account you want to blank the password on.

#3 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:16 PM

Although we do not give tutorials on password cracking here at Bleeping Computer,  search for "Offline Windows Password and Registry Editor" and look at the tutorials.

#4 RbtCmpt

RbtCmpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:36 PM

I don't want to crack any password. I did it on Windows Vista by entering pasword and then a blank - nothing - for the new password. Why won't Windows 7 do this?

#5 greycoat

greycoat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:28 PM

Dear RbtCmpt,

Click on the WIndows "Start" orb and click your profile picture at the top of the menu [alternatively go to "Control Panel" and click User Accounts]. Note I'm using Windows 7 and not Vista. In Windows 7, after exercising of the two options to get to the User Accounts window, you may see, like I do in Windows 7, a link to "Remove Password" and you do so by typing the current password which, if I understand correctly, you know. You simply just want to go back to turning on your own computer without having to enter your own password each time. As I said, I'm using Windows 7, so Vista might have a different link you have to click while in User Accounts. User Accounts is where you can change user picture for example along with creating new accounts. Vista should have means to remove a password there to any account or accounts on your computer if you are in Administrator mode. I hope this helps and that I've understood the issue. God Bless... 

#6 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:05 PM

Normally changing your own password does not require UAC (at lease in windows 7) so if restarting your computer, and trying the command prompt way doesn't work, you may have to crack the password.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users