Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opensuse 13.1 on an usb external hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Linuxuserx84

Linuxuserx84

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

I have Windows 8 laptop, an HP Envy m6 notebook. I have been wanting to use Linux on this machine for over year but Windows 8 has been making it hard. I use Linux for just about everything and only use Windows for specialized applications. I am a student studying Linux networking so its handy to have a Linux machine I can take with me. I can use a virtual machine but I  prefer to use Linux natively. Recently, I've begun messing with installing Linux on the machine. I removed the Windows 8 hard drive because no matter what the boot options are set to, it will only boot to the hard drive. I do not want to dual boot on one hard drive. I want a separate drive for each operating system. I've successful installed Opensuse 13.1 on a Seagate 1 tb external hard drive and it worked until I unplugged it, reinstalled the Windows 8 hard drive, and booted into Windows 8. I then shut down Windows 8 and removed the hard drive yet again and plugged in the external drive. The computer told me no bootable device was found. I can't find any way to remedy this. If I never install the Windows 8 hard drive, then I am fine, but I have a use for both operating systems, so I don't want to sacrifice one for the other. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:19 PM

I am not gonna address the "bootable device was not found" issue but if you think you are going to be working on both OSes a lot, I would like to recommend getting a hot-swappable hard drive rack that you can use to easily swap between hard drives.

http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-3-5-Inch-Aluminum-Removable-MRK-401ST-BK/dp/B003DVTWQ6

a2b8b158376ebc20832070b655209d10c0dde91f

Edited by badr0b0t, 24 June 2014 - 06:22 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,262 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

See if the if the info the link below gives you any ideas as to what you have now and what you would like to

have in the way of being able to boot to either drive. I don't know if you used similar instructions or not.

How to Install Ubuntu 13.10 on an external hard drive | LinuxBSDos.com

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

The computer told me no bootable device was found

Did you install grub on the USB? After running Win 8 you may need to reset bios again .

Edited by NickAu1, 24 June 2014 - 08:19 PM.

#5 Linuxuserx84

Linuxuserx84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

I found out if when I enter the boot menu, there are two options. One is OS Boot Manager which is Windows 8 and the other is Boot.EFI. If I boot Windows 8 without the external drive attached, then reattach it and try to boot from it the there are only two boot options. But, if I leave the external drive plugged in after an os install then the drive appears as it should. I figured out that if I select the Boot.EFI then go through a few more menus then I can boot the external drive without any problem. I used the website that buddy215 posted for reference just incase I missed something and I didn't. I had installed the os just like the website showed only slightly modified for Opensuse rather than Ubuntu. I had installed the os correctly earlier before I read the website's atricle. Accessing the os may not be as simple as it could be, but I don't care. As long as it works. I thank anyone who offered suggestions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users