Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up a *full* DVD to my hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

I'm not sure if this is in the right place; feel free to move it someplace else if it doesn't belong in this particular forum. :)

I have a DVD that I would like to back up on my hard drive.  But the thing is, I want to basically make a perfect copy of it.  I don't just want the movie, I want all the extra features too (the deleted scenes, the behind-the-scenes featurette, all that good stuff.)'

I've tried just straight out ripping the DVD to my hard drive, but that just gives me all these .BUP and .VOB files, and I don't even have any idea what to do with those.

I know how to make an exact copy and burn it to a DVD -- I used to do that all the time when I was in university.  When I'd come home for the summer, I'd back up all my DVDs onto my hard drive so that I wouldn't have to pack all of them to take back to school with me.  I always used DVDShrink + DVD Decrypter and it always worked perfectly.  But this time I'm not looking to burn the DVD, I just want a copy on my hard drive that is exactly the same as the original, and it is driving me bonkers that I can't figure out how to do it.  

All the Googling I've done got me absolutely nowhere, because it seems that all the tutorials I've found are predicated on the assumption that you're going to be burning your copy to a disc, and I don't want to do that.  :/

Can anyone shed any light on this whatsoever?

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:51 PM

Found this http://www.dvdsmith.com/copy-dvd-to-hard-drive.html

Tekken

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

The .BUP and .VOB files are a copy of the disk.  What you need next is something to play them with.  The easiest program I've found is Cyberlink's PowerDVD.  PowerDVD allows you to play your DVDs from folders on your hard drive.  If you want to be able to continue play back where you left off the directories must be added to the Movie library.  There is an issue with very large Movie libraries, over 1,000 folders.  If you just want to play the disk  you browse the folder inside of PowerDVD and highlight the folder with the disk contents and press the play button.  Your experience from that point on is pretty much what you get with a standard DVD player.

Another alternative would be to burn the DVDs as ISOs and mount them and play them that way.  I haven't messed with this option yet as ripping them to directories works fine for me.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

When I used Windows I allways used a Prog called DVD shrink, To back up my movies.

If I wanted movies on my PC I used to convert ( Rip ) DVD to AVI or mpg.

Please note these were movies I paid for, Not from BlockBuster or something.

When downloading any 3rd party software USE CAUTION read everything before clicking on anything.

Just FYI this is how we do it in Linux via Command line. Or you can use Brasero.

Mount a DVD disc or iso to a convenient place. 

mkdir /tmp/dvd

sudo mount -o loop /path/to/dvd.iso /tmp/dvd

Issue this command to rip a DVD to a file in your home directory;

cat ./VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB | nice avconv -i - -s 512x384 -vcodec libtheora -acodec libvorbis ~/dvd_rip.mp4

And Ripit from command line for CD.

ripit --nointeraction

ripit will rip all songs on the CD. Each song will be saved as an MP3 file in your /home directory.

Edited by NickAu1, 26 June 2014 - 06:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users