Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What would cause a computer to turn on by itself?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sega Dude

Sega Dude

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

I have an older Compaq Presario 6016US desktop computer that turns on by itself from a completely powered down state. I've seen it happen at least twice. I'll be no where near it and it will just turn on like the power button was pressed. I leave it unplugged when not in use because it does this. What would cause it to turn itself on from a completely powered down state?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:21 AM

Most likely this is a physicall power button issue. They can wear out and cause this exact issue. The other thing it may be is a power supply related issue or mainboard problem. My guess is the power button. Unfortunately in most cases the power buttons are proprietary or use proprietary connections on Compaqs so replacing the button might be tricky.

You could open the case and look for blown or bulging capacitors on the mainboard examples here: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=p8yqU4r2K460yATtg4HgDg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg&biw=1272&bih=766

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:56 AM

Could also be a faulty PSU, one that is sending out power when it shouldn't. I've dealt with this in older systems.

Edited by Netghost56, 25 June 2014 - 09:56 AM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

Could also be Wake on LAN or a BIOS start up.  The other options however are more likely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users