Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted programs installed on my computer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hedgehoglover

hedgehoglover

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:15 PM

Hi All,

It has been a few years since I last posted here, so I apologize if I am not following forum etiquette rules. Please let me know if I am taking the wrong approach to seeking help for a computer infection.

I stupidly downloaded a computer update which ended up creating www.trovi.com as my default homepage for both Chrome and explorer web browser. Additionally, PC pro optimizer virus scan downloaded as well along with "Web Bar"

I went ahead and uninstalled PC pro optimizer and Web Bar, but fear rootkeys and additional programs are installed in my computer. 

I am seeking assistance in walking through cleaning up my computer. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Sincerely,
HedgeHogLover

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FredTheCat24

FredTheCat24

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

HedgeHogLover, 

Here is a few thoughts I have: #1 - I would go to the remove programs in the Control Panel and see if there are any programs listed there that you can uninstall.  #2 - Download and run MalwareBytes & SuperAntiSpyware.  #3 - Download and run CCleaner (both the temp/junk files and the registry part - you may also want to review the Startup section to see if there as anything listed there you can stop from loading at startup and/or remove).  #4 - Review the add-ons and extensions in Chrome and IE and remove those that don't belong.  I think these will help cleaning up some of the junk you downloaded.

Hope this helps,

FredTheCat

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:25 AM

Can you use System Restore to go back to before all this happened?  That would be my first choice.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 allanf

allanf

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:05 AM

I had problems with Trovi.

ADWCleaner (downloaded from this site) cleaned up IE and Firefox.

Unfortunately it didn't clean up Chrome so I uninstalled Chrome, rebooted, re-installed Chrome and I've had no problems since then.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

I notice that you never specified what this 'computer update' was nor where you downloaded it from.

As a general guide for the future, if you need updates for anything go to the producers' or manufacturers' web-site. For example, if you want or need to update Flash, and it doesn't happen automatically, go to Adobe .com; if you want to update drivers for your nVidia graphics card, go to the nVidia web-site.

There are a number of web-sites out there which try to convince you you need updates for this, that and the other, and then to use their services to download and install these updates. Some of these are outright scams while others, if honest, are unnecessary.

Your operating system and security software needs to be updated regularly, and Microsoft and the various security companies do a pretty good job at automating this process. Hardware drivers seldom need updating unless a problem occurs and in any case create no security risk.

And finally, there is a lot of very good software available on the internet, but a lot of it is downloaded through intermediaries or third parties such as CNet or File-Hippo. Many of these third parties bundle software you don't want with the software you do. ALWAYS use the 'Custom' install method, and look at each screen carefully before you click 'Next' or 'Accept'. I have lost count of the number of times I have uninstalled Google Chrome !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users