Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting back at those fake Microsoft scammers!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HelpIGotScammed

HelpIGotScammed

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

I messed with those fake Microsoft phone scammers. They ALMOST destroyed my computer on Saturday because they called at a time where I was already frazzled and not thinking clearly. I feel like a total dumb-butt, but I learned something and now they're going to get a taste of their own bullsh*t every time they call me!

I have an aunt who is a cop and she's working on an investigation into these scammers. Our bank is also issuing an investigation on them. We canceled the debit card we used to pay for the bogus "repair" and now have a new one with a new PIN number. The bank has a fraud alert on our account. If anybody tries to mess with it, we'll be notified.

Sorry that I didn't have my phone on speaker mode. That particular cordless is buggy and people can't hear me if I use speaker mode for some reason. The guy on the other end was really confused about the "firewall" I mentioned.

Just in case there are people who don't get the joke, "Gojira" is the Japanese name for Godzilla. :P

Special shoutout to Condobloke for helping me out here. Thanks a lot! :)

Edited by HelpIGotScammed, 24 June 2014 - 04:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:11 PM

hehe good one. I used to mess with those email scammers from nigeria. Got them believing all sort of crap. Got one to meet me at the airport (I never showed, then he had the guys to email me all angry cuz I never showed)  Got another one all paranoid because I pinpointed his home address  . . .funny thing was I signed all my emails Ivan G. Otcha. they never caught on.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 HelpIGotScammed

HelpIGotScammed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

Haha, that's totally epic. I wish my camera could convey how loud that sound was on the phone. I tested it myself the night before and I had to jerk the phone away from my ear. I can't imagine what it must have been like for the scammer, who was no doubt wearing a headset!

I am very tempted to use TARDIS noises next and claim my hard drive is making this weird sound. I dunno, they might not call again after Godzilla! XD

#4 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:20 PM

I just couldn't resist posting this,,,

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:16 PM

Look this up.

Tech Support : Foamy The Squirrel

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#6 HelpIGotScammed

HelpIGotScammed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh man!

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

when I was in college living in the dorm, we had a telemarketer call us-I tried to sell her my car. its hilarious watching those telemarketers try to react when you try and sell them something . . .

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#8 bellagirl

bellagirl

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 14 December 2014 - 05:35 AM

My favourite thing to do is when the Indian scammers ring i make them talk to me about Australia v India in the cricket.  I promise i will listen to them if they just admit that we are better at cricket than them.  Once they admit it, it tell them i kept them on the phone as they have rang the federal police and we have been tracing their call and there should be police busting down their door any minute now.  Nothing funnier than an Indian trying to tell you where to go with swearing...so being a good aussie, i teach them that too. :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users