Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot load IE, lost .ost file and more

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bsherm

bsherm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:49 PM

Yesterday when I rebooted my laptop I received a message stating that I had a potential hard drive issue and needed to run ckchdsk, which I did. Upon rebooting to Windows 7 I found that:

a) my Outlook.ost file was gone;

and in attempting to fix or find this I have had the following problems:

B) I received an error message: hstart.exe C:\windows\sysWOW64\ieframe.dll is iether not designed to run on windows or it contains an error whenever I click on a hyperlink in Outlook and on other occasions.

c) i cannot download a new copy of IE (I normally use FireFox)

d) I received the following error message when I attempted to do a system restore: System Restore Failed to extract the file c:users

Brad\AppData\Local\content.ie5\\01IGWOYU\iload[1].js

I have run Norton Anti-virus, malwarebytes anti-malware, and rkill. I ran WinThruster against the hstart.exe but it failed to load. When I ran AdwCleaner it stopped about 20% done with an error message: AdwCleaner - v3.213 - Xplode - General Changelog Team -: adwclearner.exe  - C:\windows\sysWOW64\ieframe.dll is iether not designed to run on windows or it contains an error. I could not close the error message until I closed AdwCleaner.

Any suggestions as to what I might do to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:58 PM

The first thing I'd do would be to back up anything I didn't want to lose.  Then I'd restore my computer to factory settings.  Alternatively you could try Boopme's standard list of things to try at this link:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/538861/keep-getting-redirectedbut-only-for-one-site-should-i-be-worried/

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 24 June 2014 - 08:17 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,040 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:08 PM

Moved to WiN 7 as it probably is not malware now.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 bsherm

bsherm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:11 AM

Thanks for your help. As you indicated, the additional things to do from Boopme didn't work and I will be restoring to factory settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users