Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do you open the case of a Gateway DX4300-05?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 100thninja

100thninja

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

If this is in the wrong section, please move this.

I just received a Gateway DX4300-05. I need to get the case open because the hard drive fell out of place (could this be why this thing won't turn on no matter how many power cords I tried?).
Basically, how do I go from
33964710-2-440-BK-3.png
to
33964710-2-440-OVI-4.png
Here's what I've done so far:
I've removed every screw from the case. I've tried moving the left side toward me (as in backwards), tried lifting it up, etc. I found some instructions on a Gateway that looks almost exactly like the one I'm describing.

His instructions are confusing. I appreciate all help.
Edit: More accurate picture
210029-gateway-dx4300-03-back.jpg

Edited by 100thninja, 24 June 2014 - 03:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Set the computer down on the left side

It looks like remove the 2 screws on the right side of the back panel

Grab the lip in the middle of the black panel

Lightly tap the side panel from right to left

#3 100thninja

100thninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'll try that. If something goes wrong, could we possibly initiate a live chat, like on IRC or something? I've never done this before.

I just tried it. The 2 screws to the right of the fan have been unscrewed. I grabbed the lip on the right panel, pulled, but nothing happened.

Edited by 100thninja, 24 June 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:52 PM

I found the Gateway user guides at their web site here

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/drivers-downloads .  However after downloading both the guides they had there for this model, I didn't see a word or picture about removing the cover.  I also looked at the link you posted.  From what I could see it looks like you just lay the box on it's side, remove the two screws, and pull that cover toward you then upwards.  The picture looks identical to a HP desktop I have which appears to work the same way.  My best guess is that that cover is just stuck, so you may just need to apply more force to get it open.  I did find one post in another forum where one guy suggested using a chainsaw, but the OP replied he didn't want to ruin a good blade.  :wacko: I had a Gateway desktop I bought in 2006 and I have to say the quality of their documentation and their hardware are about the same unfortunately. :(  

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 100thninja

100thninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:57 PM

I tried cmptrgy's advice. I removed the 2 screws to the right of the fan and pulled the lip. I'm not sure what he meant by lightly tap the side panel from right to left. It's practically glued to the case. No matter how much strength I used, I couldn't get the thing off. I tried sliding it toward me.

Edited by 100thninja, 24 June 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 04:42 PM

Maybe you could get some vice grips and attach to that lip to give you more ability to pull on that cover.  If that doesn't work, maybe you could try just a tiny few drops of something like WD40 around the outside edges of that cover.  Be extremely careful when doing that because you don't want WD40 getting on the components inside the box.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#7 100thninja

100thninja
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

I didn't get to open it up. I'll just give up. My family doesn't have enough money for even a cheap tablet so I'm just going to go without a computer for a while.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,628 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

Looking at the back remove the two screws on the right. Hold the back handle and try pulling on the lip in the center of the side panel. Or push the top of the case why you are pulling on that raised lip. You have to give it a good yank. Like cmptrgy said, this is the way to do it. I do this all the time on an old Dell but it only has an indent in the side panel. Just keep working at it.

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic-31/need-help-removing-the-case-off-computer-523628/

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 June 2014 - 06:31 PM.

#9 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:02 PM

Please tap the side panel as you tug on the lip

With the tower laying down on the opposite side, hold the lip with you left hand, Tap the side panel with the palm of your right hand right next to the frame on the right side of the tower while guiding your hand from right to left a couple of times and pull the lip to slide the side panel out to your left. What happens is there are "hinges" that interlock between the tower frame and the side panel frame. Many times just pulling the lip isn't enough to release the caught "hinges". There are times after doing that, it's possible to slide the side panel off because the original tightness is not as solid as it was before but I do the procediure as a habit now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users