Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Display Problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tavalus

Tavalus

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 11:04 AM

Ok, so I turned off my PC last night and everything was fine. 800x600 resolution, everything fit, etc. I turn my PC on this morning, still at 800x600 resolution except all the Icons are large now, take up half my desktop, windows when opened don't fit on the screen, and the start menu doesn't fit on the screen either. I checked display, use large icons isn't checked, I can't figure out why everything got so big. I have to have it on 1280x1024 just for things to fit and my Start menu still doesn't fit, it goes up off the screen instead of tall and wide on 800x600. What could have done this and how can I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:16 PM

Sounds like your video driver got zapped when you shut down your computer. We can try re-installing the driver.

Right Click on My Computer
Left Click on Properties
Left Click on Hardware tab at top
Left Click on Device manager
Left Click on the little plus sign to the left of Display Adaptor
High lite the display driver shown and write it down before un-installing it.
Uninstall the driver and answer Yes or OK to everything and exit out

Reboot the computer and when it is rebooted your driver will be re-installed and all you might have to do is reset the screen resolution.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2006 - 01:49 PM

Uninstall by right-clicking on the video card name and selecting Uninstall from the popup menu.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:00 PM

You may need to use the motherboard driver cd (if the video adapter is onboard) or the video card installation cd (if it is a separate video card) or look the driver up and download updated drivers from support at whichever applies to replace the driver. Windows may not have the driver in its database.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users