Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What have I gotten myself into?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BitMonk

BitMonk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

As I posted in the Introduction forum I'm switching careers.  I just took an IT job at a rural hospital and believe I'll start out doing workstation troubleshooting. It's been several years since my A+ course so I want to brush up on that. I'm thinking be ready with some commands like ipconfig, netstat, I have some written down in my notes, learn the switches, maybe even make some batch files for a thumb drive (or maybe that might be blocked in group policy or something). Also been looking at Event Viewer, relearning some stuff there.  Anyway, I can do that on my own but maybe some of you pros could give me an idea of two or three of the common problems you see. I can do the research, but just point me in the right direction. I tried some internet searches for basic trouble shooting but those were pretty general, like make sure the thing is plugged in. I have a day or two before I start and need something to combat these jitters.

Another thought, are there any professional sites. I do hit the Microsoft TechNet site. Again, I can do searches on my own but sometimes there are jewels out there, like this one. 

Thanks for your consideration!

Edited by BitMonk, 24 June 2014 - 01:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:24 PM

I posted this on your original thread and saw you edited the post after so I'll post this here as well:

In almost all situations google is your best friend. Become profficient in using the search engine and any problem can generally be solved quickly. In the business setting I am in, the majority of the problems are related to Backups/networking/ VOIP phone systems and then of course virus's and controlling spam on the exchange server etc.

I imagine a health care facility will use encryption technologies to comply with HIPAA. This is an area I have not touched much...

Something to do on the first day: If you are involved in maintaing the network, Learn the network layout. I can't ever stress this enough. Some new I.T. people wait to go into their NOC (Network Operations Center) until there is a problem. That problem is going to take a lot longer to diagnose if you don't already know the network. Look at your DHCP server, this should give you a decent idea of how the network is setup. Learn the switch layout etc.

Windows is still Windows, from XP to Windows 8, not much has really changed behind the new GUI.

I would say the majority of the time you will be having random issues that no one person could possibly know off hand without seeing before.

Edited by zingo156, 24 June 2014 - 01:26 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 BitMonk

BitMonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:34 PM

Hey Zingo, you are thorough! BTW, my new supervisor JUST called and said get my physical done tomorrow and I'll start for real Thursday morning. Here I go!

Edited by BitMonk, 24 June 2014 - 01:35 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:42 PM

Best of luck! Internal I.T. is my favorite career so far. I was in retail pc repair before and can say without a doubt I wouldn't go back.

Where I work all of our servers are windows based which really makes things easy. Though we are updating one that is still on 2003... Of course with updating comes the fun of buying new CALs for 2012!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:49 PM

I am having a lot of fun with office365 exchange services being down right now!!!! They have been down for 6 hours... Well at least I can say this time it's not my problem.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:51 PM

I'm with zingo156 there's no point doing this research until you are on the job.  What we see every day may not apply to your environment, and vice versa.  Certification is a foundation.  Work is where you build the structure.

Remember the first 90 days everyone feels stupid.  It doesn't matter how good you are at the job you still need to learn the environment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users