Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello all, new IT guy.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BitMonk

BitMonk

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

I have used this site MANY times over the years so thanks to all the regulars for the information!

ME? I'm pushing 60 and switching careers thanks to my local community college. I just took an IT job at a rural health care facility and the reality of that is sinking in especially since I don't have much real world experience. I will post a question about that in another forum.

Besides that I'm an outdoors kind of guy and a very casual World of Warcraft player.

Maybe I can start helping some others on the forums as I progress.

Thanks all!

Edited by BitMonk, 24 June 2014 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:11 PM

In almost all situations google is your best friend. Become profficient in using the search engine and any problem can generally be solved quickly. In the business setting I am in, the majority of the problems are related to Backups/networking/ VOIP phone systems and then of course virus's and controlling spam on the exchange server etc.

I imagine a health care facility will use encryption technologies to comply with HIPAA. This is an area I have not touched much...

Something to do on the first day: Learn the network layout. I can't ever stress this enough. Some new I.T. people wait to go into their NOC (Network Operations Center) until there is a problem. That problem is going to take a lot longer to diagnose if you don't already know the network. Look at your DHCP server, this should give you a decent idea of how the network is setup.

Windows is still Windows, from XP to Windows 8, not much has really changed behind the new GUI.

I would say the majority of the time you will be having random issues that no one person could possibly know off hand without seeing before.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 wahl2wal

wahl2wal

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:17 PM

Wow except for the World of Warcraft part, it sounds like me! Nice to meet you. Looking forward to working with you.

#4 BitMonk

BitMonk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:29 PM

Wow, you all are fast! Thanks for the info zingo, I actually moved my question but I knew what you are talking about. Wow, just hearing from another IT guy helps! As far as network layout, that is an interest to me but I can certainly see the wisdom there, point taken. As far as security goes, those were my last two courses, really cool instructor BTW, worked in the field since all they had were blinking cursors. I did find a 'dot gov' site dedicated to health IT so I'll get back to that.

Hey wahl2wal, I guess they can teach us old dogs new tricks!

Thanks for the replies.

Edited by BitMonk, 24 June 2014 - 01:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users