Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

keyboard and mouse failure

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 midmech

midmech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

Boss bought us a new Dell desktop with Windows 8 in May.

On Friday, I attempted to backup some files onto our removable USB stick but the computer would not recognize anything had been put into the USB ports. I took a look at the drivers and it gave me some kind of error code (code 52?) and a google search didn't give me any good information. After restarting the computer the mouse and keyboard no longer worked.

Keyboard and mouse are not wireless. Lights on the keyboard and mouse no longer flash on startup, but the keyboard works in the BIOS. I can't do anything on the desktop because on startup it lands on a page that shows only the time and date. Normally I have to click the mouse to pass this page in order to reach the login screen, but the mouse does not work.

We already went through the process of trying different ports, different mouse and keyboard, etc etc.

Dell sent us a new motherboard and the new motherboard didn't fix anything.

I'm suspecting it's an issue with Windows. The tech we had gave us a new product key to go with the motherboard, but I was not in the office when the tech attempted to repair the computer and my boss isn't very tech savvy so he wasn't able to really inform me of what the tech said/did. I'm assuming the product key is to reinstall windows 8? But I'm unsure how to begin that process.

We also need to get the files off the hard drive and I'm unsure how to do that either since we can't even get to the login screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users