Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Drives and System Volume Information

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tatterdemalion

Tatterdemalion

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:27 AM

As a result of my Anti-Virus software flagging Trojans in the System Volume Information of an external USB hard drive and giving me the option to quarantine the rogues, I Googled "System Volume Information" because I was concerned that if I agreed to any deletions I might not be able to run the drive and access its data again.

My search results suggested that System Volume Information folders on external hard drives are similar to folders created by Windows for Restore Points. I don't know why I would need these on external hard drives or how or why they were created.

Are they necessary or are they a vulnerability ?

If I let my AV quarantine files therein will the drive's data still be accessible ?

Please advise...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:17 PM

It sounds like you're describing the NTFS mechanism for keeping track of what's on the drive and where it is.  Before doing anything with it, I'd back up anything I didn't want to lose to another external drive.  I think I'd also want to run chkdsk on that drive and let it check for and attempt repair of any bad sectors.  If you want to see exactly what's in all the folders on that drive, I'd recommend the free program Treesize that you can download from jam-software.de.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users