Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 15 L521x fan issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cleanfreak0419

cleanfreak0419

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:16 AM

Greetings-

I have the above mentioned laptop and I have upgraded the Ram to 16gb and changed the HDD to a Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500gb. It has been about a week since this was done and all is working fine. Starting last night, the fan comes on about every 3-4 minutes and runs for 2-3 minutes and cuts off.

Any idea what could be causing this issue?

any help is appreciated.

cf

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:44 AM

The fans generally run only when needed. If the computer is not over heating, it may just be that with the new ram and new ssd, the computer heats up faster for short periods of time. SSD's will make everything load faster and also allow the cpu to work faster. More work = more heat. This would explain more than normal fan running times.

It might be a good idea to dust out the computer, if dust has built up it will prevent the fan from doing it's job effectively.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:45 AM

How does it affect the performance of your laptop? Any freezing?

I don't see any issues with the fan. Fans are suppose to operate at full speeds when there's a heat build-up. HDDs are one of the biggest heat contributors in any PC. But since you've replaced your HDD with an SSD, there's going to be less source of heat inside your laptop and your fans are just probably reacting to new conditions inside your laptop.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#4 cleanfreak0419

cleanfreak0419
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

thanks for your replies.

The laptop is working properly with no freezes or lags and is really fast.

My concern is that it went a week, maybe 2, with the fan not running at all and now all of the suddden it is running as I stated above with no applications running.

very odd

thanks

cf

Edited by cleanfreak0419, 24 June 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:13 AM

Did you install anything recently? Anti-virus software? An anti-virus with ssd will use more cpu power than with a standard spindle drive. SSD's are capable of much higher read speed so if the AV is not set to only use a certain amount of cpu% it may be running at 100% depending on the cpu. This would cause a spike in heat where the fan would run.

There are some virus related software that will cause high cpu and gpu usage which would also cause more heat and the fan to run. If you have an anti-virus, update it and run a full scan to be safe.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 cleanfreak0419

cleanfreak0419
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

nope. nothing has been installed recently. I set everything up when I swamped the SSD 2 weeks ago.

I will say this, since my last post (10 minutes ago +/-) the fan has not started......really weird.

Edited by hamluis, 24 June 2014 - 02:38 PM.
Removed unnecessary quotebox - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users