Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Share and not share hard drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Linz_jm

Linz_jm

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:22 AM

G'day,

I am hoping that someone can help me with my sharing problem. My name is Lindsay and I am new to any type of forum so I will try my best to do things correctly.

I have a 2 GB hard drive connected to my Netgear Modem Router and allow my family to map it on their pc. Some of the info on the drive I would like to share with my wife but would like it to be hidden to other family members. I am looking for an easy way to share and not share info on the same hard drive. I play with computers a bit but far from an expert.

If someone could help it would be appreciated.

Linz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:24 AM

Please provide the model of the Netgear router.  Odds are there is a way to create different accounts and provide the access based on account.  For example if you stored video files on the drive and had them broke down by rating you could share the rated G movies to one account, the account with access to the PG rated movies could also access the rated G, and so on with the rest of the ratings.

#3 Linz_jm

Linz_jm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:53 PM

cool thanks

d6300

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:43 PM

It looks like what you want is on page 67 of this manual.  The manual isn't very clear, so you may have to play with it, but it looks like it is capable of setting different rights for different folders.  You'll want to test the access with both account types before you go live with it.  Make sure your wife can see and read everything and also that the limited account can't see the wife stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users