Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sygate And Wgatray.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 graveangel

graveangel

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hi everyone

This is not really a problem (at least i hope not) but just a question as to why this is happening now.
Since yesterday,each time i load up my pc, i get the sygate firewall pop-up (which im obviously using) asking me whether or not i want to allow "WgaTray" to access "go.microsoft.com". Now im aware that WgaTray.exe is to do with the windows genuine advantage tool,but this has never popped up before,not everytime i load up anyway. I know i can tick the box to tell Sygate to grant this access everytime it needs it, but because ive been using it a while,i just find it odd that now it request permission everytime.
I don't believe its anthing bad (malware related) but id just like to know if anyone else has had the same thing happening to them? Does anyone know if windows has altered the way the tool works?

Any info back on this would be appreciated.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 01:47 PM

In regards to your question, this is probably not a problem, but more so something do to with automatic updates or something along those lines. In reference to Sygate, (hopefully, someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the free version of Sygate has been discontinued from malware updates because of the recent purchase by Norton. If you're using the free version of Sygate, ZA Free, Sunbelt Kerio Free, and Outpost Firewall Free are several of the most prefered choices.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 29 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

Sygate is a firewall, and does not consequently update like an anti-virus does.
The firewall is not currently supported, which only means that no further development (which is probably not needed anyway) is planned. Sygate continues to be a first-rate firewall as it is currently published.
The novelty of the pop-up might be explained by a MS patch you recently installed, or a Windows configuration change that was made. Allow it once, and use the traffic log to make sure, but back-tracing, that it is actually going to a MS site. If you are satisfied, then you can allow it permanently.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 graveangel

graveangel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for your replys,both of you,its appreciated.

I totally understand elendils concern about sygate not being supported anymore,and thanks for your suggestions on the other firewalls :thumbsup: but jgweed was spot on regarding sygate,despite the fact it is no longer supported by a tech team,its still perhaps the best free firewall available,it blocks like an iron gate,concrete wall and solid gold doors combined,nothing gets in or out without sygate saying so first. Its a shame norton bought them out.I was always a norton fan,until i found out how much they screw software up that was more supperior before they bought it. I purchased security suite back in jan,and because a small trace of a previous version was still on system,installing NIS 2006 screwed things up.I managed after hours of delving deep to finally get things back to normal,but im not bothering to try to install it again,its not worth the hassle,believe me.I paid 50 for it which is about $90 to my overseas friends,im sticking to the free,less agro AVs from now on.
Anyway, regarding my little concern, ive just loaded up,and nothings popped up,but it will at some point next time,and i will check the logs,if i can understand them with all the numbers and codes in there.
I will report back soon, in the meantime though,if anyone else has experienced this,id like to know.

Thanks again :flowers:

Edited by graveangel, 30 May 2006 - 01:36 PM.

....And on the 8th day God said, "When my children are intelligent, and create the Computer, for my sake may they never screw around with the registry or subscribe to AOL"Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users