Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Network detected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 24 November 2004 - 12:18 AM

About an hour ago something weird happened that I have never seen before.
Zone Alarm detected a new private network, IP=169.254.0.0./255.255.0.0
I didn't know what to do. My normal network is Verizon DSL 198.168 etc.
Alert asked if to place it in trusted or internet zone. I did not want to place it anywhere. There was no help. ZA replaced my Verizon network line with this new thing. I could not do much really until I responded to the alert. There was no option to leave things alone.

I tried Google to see what it's all about, but could not connect to the internet. The little connectivity icon at the bottom of the screen said something about limited connection. True.

I shut down the computer. But it came back with the same thing. At that point I told ZA to shut off all internet access.
I shut down computer again, then router, then the modem.
I turned things back on in reverse sequence, and now everything is OK, Verizon is back, and, as you can see, I can get to the internet.

I haven't yet ran Ad-aware, Spybot SandD, PestPatrol to see what damage occured while I was scratching my head.

What does one do in a situation such as this when there is no option to do nothing?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 03:40 PM

Zone Alarm detected a new private network, IP=169.254.0.0./255.255.0.0

This is the ip address that Microsft Windows assigns to your network interfaces when it cant get an IP address through DHCP. This is probably nothing to worry about.

What probably happened was verizon was having a problem at the time and you did not receive an ip address from them, so microsoft assigned you one in the 169 range. Zone alarm saw this as a new network. Then when verizon came live again and you were issued a new ip address, it went back to normal

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:03 PM

Thank you, exhausted Grinler.
It sounds very reasonable what you wrote.
Can I conclude from this that when Zone Alarm sees a new network to NEVER worry or still be careful? and if so, how other than buggin you?
Is that 169... number a tipoff that it is Verizon?

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,659 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 07:38 PM

If its a range in 192.168, 10.0 or 10.10 its usually ok. 169 is not verizon but a network microsoft uses when it cant get a ip address from elsewhere

#5 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2004 - 11:37 PM

Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) feature of Windows XP Professional. This assignment means that TCP/IP is configured for automatic configuration, that no DHCP server was found, and that no alternative configuration is specified. Like Grinler said your ISP was probably down at the instant your computer wanted an IP address. ZoneAlarm said "new network" and wanted to add it. Even if you had added it as a "trusted" network it would be safe because 169 IP's are not routable from the internet.

Here's the technical explanation for your brain:

Can a packet with a 169.254 source address *EVER*
be sent to a
non-169.254 destination address?
A host SHOULD NOT establish communications from a global source
address to a link-local destination address, or vice versa.
Link-local addresses should only be used for communication with
other link-local addresses on the same link.A host complying with this requirement would simply refuse to
generate a
packet with a 169.254 source address and a global destination
address, so
the NAT gateway would simply not get the opportunity to translate the
packet, because the packet would never exist.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#6 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,578 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2004 - 10:06 PM

Thank you both for going to the trouble to explain so well. Somehow I missed the connection with the tutorial materials and will reread again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users