Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where on desktop is email for email client?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

Specifically if using the portable form of Opera Mail, the mail client available from portableapps.com.

I tried looking at many articles from internet searches but found nothing telling where to find the folder holding the email messages for the email client.  My copy of portable Opera Mail is on a usb flash drive.  I have tried looking through the folders for the application but still do not know how to recognize any email messages.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,793 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:33 PM

portableapps.com.

You do understand that downloading apps like this from most 3rd party sites poses all sorts of security risks, Remember this, That software while it was made by WhoEver has now been modified by somebody, How was it modified, Who did it, What else did they put in it? I may be wrong here however I also think may be against most software developers TOS to use modified software like this.

FYI only.

While Opera is free some sites and some people have used " the making of a app portable" on paid for software to bypass  having to pay for the software. I used to do just that a long time ago. I now know and understand why it is bad.

Eg.

Making XXXXbytes premium into a portable application. While creating the portable you use a genuine key or "other" methods to activate Then compile it as portable with the activation in place, Now anybody with XXXXbytes portable has a free premium copy instead. That's software piracy. And Theft.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 June 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:57 PM

Portable apps is a legitimate application. However when you install these apps on a thumbdrive nothing and I mean nothing is installed on the 'host computer' when you plug it in. Hence the term portable apps.

As it says here: http://portableapps.com/news/2013-06-14--opera-mail-portable-1.0-released

Opera Mail is packaged for portable use with permission from the publisher

I've been using various portable apps for years(Not Opera Mail though). More info for those who may not know about portable apps. http://portableapps.com/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,793 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

Thank you Animal for the links and info. +1

I have used portable apps also and find them usefull, Even Linux has portable apps.

No disrespect intended to portableapps.com. And I apologise to portableapps.com. if I was disrespectfull.

I just replied as a general FYI about what can happen with portable apps, and hopefully make somebody think twice before they download some portable from freeportableappsandwarez.fu. or some place.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 June 2014 - 10:09 PM.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

Now that we know that portable applications are legititmate, what about my question:  Where will I find my supposedly downloaded email when using Opera Mail email client?  Nothing firm according to any helpfile information.  No clear information from internet searches.  Where would my downloaded, saved emails be?  I even searched through the many folders in Opera Mail on the flash drive.  I can't recognize anything as any collection of emails.   What should be the directory path to my emails?

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,793 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

Have you tried looking in the folder it came in. Eg Mydocuments/downloads/OperaPortable/something. Sometimes portable apps store stuff in the folder it was unzipped in. on my Linux its in home/documents/opera.

Also would this help?

http://email.about.com/od/operatips/qt/et020805.htm

Edited by NickAu1, 23 June 2014 - 10:20 PM.

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

Are you using the mail app with the portable apps platform or as a stand alone portable app? This may be dumb question, but did you install the mail app on the flash drive or just download it to the flash drive? What happens when you open the app to use it and set up all your mail settings?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 894 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:38 PM

Downloaded and saved the PAF "installer" to the computer hard disk; then installed onto usb flashdrive OUTSIDE of the portableapps platform.

The paths for this on the usb flash drive is this way:

Removable Disk  E:\OperaMailPortable, and inside of this are folders,
\Apps
\Data
\Other

There are a few duplications of folders which also occur inside these three subfolders.  The operaMailPortable forlder only has two other items:
help.html  and  OperaMailPortable.exe

I have opened and used OperaMailPortable and setup two of my email accounts for this email client and have seen the listings of emails within the running email client, and opened and read a few of the messages.

No doubt whatsoever, I am doing this through the OperaMailPortable email client, and not through the Opera web browser.  

I could give more directory structure information, but would it really be helpful?  Any idea what sizes and file extensions to recognize as the email messages?    What I notice, not very accurately, since setting up the two email accounts with OperaMail, I have found very little if any change in used flash drive storage capacity.  Maybe about 0.01 GB change or increase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users