Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No space???

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:53 PM

Okay so i have my old laptop and it barely has any downloads in it but the space is all taken up..? I tried cleaning my computer out by deleting temp stuff and using ccleaner but it only removed like 2 GB

and i think the computer fixer guy downloaded windows 7 on this (can it be removed?)

is there a way i can fix this? 

Here are some screenshots if that will help:

pbmtc.png

28jcmt3.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,722 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

Wow what a mess. Who partitioned that? your Cdrive is too small your EDrive is too big your DDrive has nothing on it.

Oh yes see that flag with the red X its trying to tell you something important.

This is just what I would do.

Move as many files etc from CDrive to DDrive

Shrink Edrive by 50 GB and  and after moving files from C to D I would end up with CDrive about 40GB, DDrive about 70 Gb, And EDrive would be left with about 20 GB it looks like its the recovery partition.

Just my opinion I could be wrong.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 June 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:53 PM

As NickAu1 says, the partitioning is somewhere between poor and awful.  :hysterical:    With the current size of that C: drive, 29 GB, you're going to be constantly dealing with space problems.  However fear not!   :thumbsup:   While what NickAu1 suggests might work, I believe a good bit better solution would be to just repartition.  You can download the FREE Easeus Partition Master program, and easily do the job.  I'd eliminate the empty D: partition and expand the C: drive to use all that freed up space.  That would give you about an 84 GB C: partition without having to move anything, and you'd have a decent sized C: partition to work with in the future.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,722 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:38 PM

I'd eliminate the empty D: partition and expand the C: drive to use all that freed up space

Yes that will work, I as a rule do not store the Home/My documents folder on CDrive ( it's mostly a Linux thing) I store that stuff on Ddrive, That way if my OS fails for whatever reason I can just format C re install the OS, and all my Documents Photos Music etc is untouched on D Drive, It also makes data recovery easier as long as the drive works you can just plug it into another pc and get to your files.

i think the computer fixer guy downloaded windows 7 on this (can it be removed?)

No idea, If its a clean install you would need to format and start again. If it was an upgrade I do not know maybe you can roll back, but that could pose other problems like stability issues. You PC's anything that can go wrong will go wrong on even the simplest thing.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 June 2014 - 10:44 PM.

#5 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:23 PM

OH LOOOLOLOLOL i dont know anything about partition stuff..  :lmao:

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:57 AM

The suggestions above are good...but a simpler solution would be to merge the C: and D: partitions.  To do this, i would use EaseUS Parititon Master or something similar.

The hard drive itself is small by today's standards and there really is no point in having two partitions.  The E: doesn't really count as a partition and it's something created when installing Win 7 that really doesn't merit any attention. 100 MB is nothing and the partition is just an administrative byproduct of installing Win 7.

Louis

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:14 AM

Just wanted to point out that E: drive size is in MB, not GB.  Using the D: drive space is what needs to be done.

I'm not a fan of playing with partitions.  No matter what you decide to do back up your data.

Your options, as I see it.

1.  Move as much data as you can from C: to D:, but as wpgwpg said the size of your C: drive will make it constant battle for free space.

2.  Merge your C: and D: partition as hamluis suggested.

3.  Reinstall Windows to one partition.

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:32 AM

OH LOOOLOLOLOL i dont know anything about partition stuff..  :lmao:

You'll find Easeus Partition Master very easy to use.  If you start moving stuff from the C: drive, you're likely to run into things much more complicated and problem prone.  Most of the stuff on C: can't just be simply moved.  Even if you're successful, you'll still be stuck with a much too tiny C: partition.  If you do the partitioning, it's simple, straightforward, can be done in 30 minutes time, and doesn't need for you to reinstall or move anything.  

Kilroy's suggestion to do a backup is an excellent one.  I've never run into a problem repartitioning, but doing backups is an excellent idea even when you're not making system changes, and it's imperative prior to making ANY kind of system change.  Kilroy, I'm not big on partitioning a C: drive, but the problem here is that it's already BEEN partitioned, so we need to UNDO that so there's a decent sized C: partition. 

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 24 June 2014 - 09:35 AM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,722 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:12 PM

Just wanted to point out that E: drive size is in MB, not GB.

+1 Kilroy  Did not even notice it was MB not GB.

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:25 AM

a simpler solution would be to merge the C: and D: partitions.  To do this, i would use EaseUS Parititon Master or something similar.

The hard drive itself is small by today's standards and there really is no point in having two partitions.  The E: doesn't really count as a partition and it's something created when installing Win 7 that really doesn't merit any attention. 100 MB is nothing and the partition is just an administrative byproduct of installing Win 7.

Louis

This.

Some tools won't merge partitions though, so you will be forced to delete the empty one and then expand your OS partition to take up the free space. The effect is identical.

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:04 AM

I would install a larger hard drive. I would recommend a harddisk of - at least - ~ 150 GB for a Win 7 system. But that's my VERY personal opinion.

Edited by Willy22, 26 June 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:07 AM

It's an old lappy, probably doesn't want to throw more cash at it...

#13 asdfghjklunicorns

asdfghjklunicorns
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

ooh okay i will merge it thanks guys :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users