Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with a busted Laptop Graphics card issue...

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 m1lfr3d

m1lfr3d

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

ok so there is alot that i need to know. so ill start with a single question and ask the next question down the line as i get my answers.

so question one:

my laptop had something fall on it (a poorly built shelf, by my dad). and ever since, it has been disabling my graphics card (luckily i have switchable graphics) with error 43 on startup. i have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and shutting down then restarting the computer, i have tried unplugging then reseating the GPU. none of what ive tried has changed anything.

my question is, do you know of any way i can determine if this is because the GPU is broken or if something on the motherboard itself is broken, without taking this to a shop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:10 AM

Visual inspection.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:41 AM

Run HWmonitor while doing work and check your temps. If the heat pipe got bent or took a hit, it may have leaked the liquid out (it won't transfer heat to the heat exchanger). In this case, it will not cool your chip. Heat pipes and fans are relatively cheap... You can find the latest version of HWmonitor here:

1.25 setup

If something fell on the computer just about anything could have happened including damage to the video card itself or the mainboard, or hard drive etc.

Was the computer on and running when it took the hit?

Also please run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 m1lfr3d

m1lfr3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:55 PM

ok here is my specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/si02CxhN801cAIyBWMTPfHi

and i have also added a screen shot of that HW moniter program

Attached File  Untitled.jpg   117.8KB   0 downloads

also by the way upon my visual inspection i saw no problems with the heat sinks, the slot to plug in the graphics card look visually acceptable, and i noticed a small white abrasion on the Graphics card itself. the only thing making me think it might not be the graphics card is the fact that it was in between the motherboard and heatsink so i dont understand how it could have been directly struck to leave an abrasion.

Edited by m1lfr3d, 24 June 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

Did you get the new driver directly from Nvidia's website? I did not see any obvious problems in speccy. I did notice that the Nvidia card is being recognized as a standard vga card. If you have not gotten the newest driver directly from Nvidia's website do this first. From speccy I could not determine the exact model but I saw this: GPU: GK107 which points to the GTX 650 or 640.

Here is their website: http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us

Go there, find your model video card and download the newest driver for your operating system which is Windows 7 64 bit. If you have already done this then I have a few other questions...

How exactly do you switch to using the built in vs dedicated video card? Is there a keyboard based switch? Also at what point exactly do you see the "error 43 on startup".

Lets try to rule out a software/hard drive issue by booting to a burned disc with linux on it. I generally use linux mint which you can find here: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Burn that to a disc and then boot to the disc. When you have linux running go to this page and install this package: http://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/sysinfo then run sysinfo to determine if linux is seeing the hardware correctly. I am going to download a the newest version of linux mint and run it to see if there is a different way to see hardware from the stock iso without installing the sysinfo package.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:57 AM

Well my network is pretty taxed right now and the new mint is 1.2gb... I will have to wait to download the newest version myself. I seem to remember there was a way to see hardware built into mint but I can not recal exactly what utility it was.

#7 m1lfr3d

m1lfr3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:02 PM

my gfx card is the nvidia gt 650m.

my laptop used to make the switch automatically whenever it decided that the running program required more GPU power to perform fully.

i looked but could not find a button that would manually switch them.

i also checked the bios and there is only an option to disable dedicated, not to disable integrated.

error 43 started showing up immediately after i turned my laptop back on after the shelf gave out. i found it by going into control panel and checking device status under properties.

ok im assuming Cinnamon is the correct version of linux mint to use. im downloading it as i type, but like you said big download and all lol.

the only problem is i dont have a spare disk to burn it to at the moment. will putting it on a flash drive and installing it onto an extra hard drive work?

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:35 PM

the only problem is i dont have a spare disk to burn it to at the moment. will putting it on a flash drive and installing it onto an extra hard drive work?

This will work as long as the hard drive is good, just be careful so you don't format your current os drive accidentally...

I will look into error 43 specifically related to your video card.

Edited by zingo156, 25 June 2014 - 02:36 PM.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

You didn't mention if you already tried the newest driver directly from nvidia? I assume you have but just checking.

#10 m1lfr3d

m1lfr3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:48 PM

indeed i have tried it and it just was not working. i did a full uninstall of the driver, then did a full reinstall using the newest driver, and this did not cause the error to go away.

also i have installed Linux staight onto the USB (luckily it was big enough) and booted. ill post the results from the link you sent ASAP

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:00 PM

Copy that on the driver not fixing the problem. The other thing that just came to mind was flashing the bios to a newer version, I tend to only try this as a last resort especially since it was working fine before the shelf incident... I will await the linux results. You can stress test your video chip in linux by trying to run 4k videos from youtube. You may have to install flash first.

#12 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:05 PM

Oh I forgot to mention, mint should by default use the dedicated video card only... If the computer will not boot to mint, try disabling the dedicated card in bios and then try to boot again. If it boots fine with dedicated disabled but not with it enabled, this might indicate a hardware problem...

#13 m1lfr3d

m1lfr3d
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

oddly enough mint booted fine without having the change anything in the bios. but then i went to check sysinfo, and where it would usually have a tab on the side labeled "Nvidia", this tab was absent. could this indicate something?

also on a side note i checked and my bios is on the latest version.

Edited by m1lfr3d, 25 June 2014 - 03:17 PM.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:17 PM

You can ignore this post, I am just putting this link in for my possible future reference: http://planetoss.com/articles/how-to-disable-the-discrete-amd-graphics-card-in-linux/

Edited by zingo156, 25 June 2014 - 03:23 PM.

#15 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:20 PM

oddly enough mint booted fine without having the change anything in the bios. but then i went to check sysinfo, and where it would usually have a tab on the side labeled "Nvidia", this tab was absent. could this indicate something?

also on a side note i checked and my bios is on the latest version.

That nvidia tab is probably part of the software for windows. I would check the hardware profile and confirm it sees the nvidia card correctly. If it does, test it out a bit. Try some HD video etc.

The next step I would take (since you have a spare hard drive) would be to load windows fresh on the spare drive and see if it works fine there.

One more thing, update the Intel driver in your current already installed windows, I seem to recall at least one case where the intel driver was the problem, not the nvidia driver.

Edited by zingo156, 25 June 2014 - 03:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users