Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

COMPUTER CRAWLS, YET NO MALWARE OR VIRUSES

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 jlpelham

jlpelham

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:48 PM

I've been having regular intermittent problems with my laptop for the past 3 or so months.  I went through a TON of troubleshooting on this forum/site with some excellent people and eventually got my computer cleaned up and free of malware or viruses.  However, every few days, my computer goes from blindingly fast to so slow it's torture.  I've noticed when I open task manager that my CPU often shows at 100% even though I don't have stuff open or not much.  Also, when I close down Windows, it takes a long time and after it closes everything that is open, it says "closing background programs," yet I am not aware of anything running in the background.  My guess is that I have a nasty hard to detect virus or some malware using my resources in the background and that when I run CC cleaner or JRT it gets rid of it temporarily.   Malwarebytes and MS Security Essentials detect nothing even with a full scan.  When this program occurs, if I open my computer in Safe Mode with networking, it runs just fine.

Any ideas/help?  Thanks!

Jonathan Lange

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2014 - 07:51 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:51 PM

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Tekken

#3 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/zojSZ32QsNEHVaabWoAwT3s

Speecy results.  By the way, I've noticed that my computer SEEMS to run hot.  I've tried to put a fan speed program in, but couldn't seem to make it work.  Will download and run security check next.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

Try free HWMonitor instead. When was the last time your computer was cleaned out from dust internally? The CPU temperature looks high already for just a couple of minutes of uptime. If you are not up to the task of disassembling, cleaning and reapplying thermal paste on CPU, take it to a local repair shop or someone who have experienced in maintenance and repairs.

Tekken

#5 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

Securitycheck results:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.85  
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is enabled)  
 Internet Explorer 11  
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:`````````````` 
 Windows Firewall Enabled!  
Microsoft Security Essentials   
  (On Access scanning disabled!) 
 Error obtaining update status for antivirus!  
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:````````` 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300  
 CCleaner     
 Java 7 Update 55  
 Java version out of Date! 
 Adobe Reader 10.1.8 Adobe Reader out of Date!  
 Google Chrome 35.0.1916.114  
 Google Chrome 35.0.1916.153  
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````  
 Microsoft Security Essentials MSMpEng.exe 
 Microsoft Security Essentials msseces.exe 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe  
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui.exe  
 Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe   
`````````````````System Health check````````````````` 
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0% 
````````````````````End of Log`````````````````````` 

#6 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 04:03 PM

tried free hw monitor and it tried to sell me a package and tried to replace google chrome and a whole host of other BS.  It was a registry cleaner pro.  Then that found 380 threats and offered to fix 15 for free, which I did, but wanted me to buy the program to fix the other 365.  CCleaner has found no registry problems.

I think the free hwmonitor brought me to the wrong place.  Any help?  I assumed that HW monitor was a hardware monitoring program like speccy but it doesn't seem that way unless I got hoodwinked.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:46 PM

The Free version is on the 2nd line of the top right screen or under the Pro Version which is 1.25 setup version. But anyway, you would need to addressed first the cleaning and maintenance of your laptop just to make sure the thermal events would be resolved before proceeding to the next step of software problems.

Tekken

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:50 PM

According to Speccy, your CPU is 70 degrees C.  That's hot enough to fry circuits if it's accurate.  I've seen Speccy be wrong about temps though, so download SpeedFan and let's see what it says.  Speccy also says your hard drive is 51 C, which is bodering on getting too hot also.  If SpeedFan gives similar temps, I'd certainly take jhayz's advice about the heat.  

I see you have an out of date version of Java installed.  Since Java has had such a history of vulnerabilities, I'd uninstall it if I didn't need it.  If you do need it, you should at least get it up to date.

Speccy says your antivirus (MSE) is disabled!  WOW, that's a HUGE invitation for trouble.  You need to fix that ASAP!!

I see that you're way way behind on Windows updates, many of which fix security problems.  This is a serious problem.  

Based on the above, I'd save any data I didn't want to lose, and restore this computer to factory settings using the procedure in your user guide.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#9 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

Ran Speedfan and here is what it said:

CPU Usage about 45% then next green bar doesn't label what it is but it says 56.6% Automatic fan speed is checked

HDO:  39C

Temp 1: 85C

Core 0: 76C

Core 1: 79C

Temp 5: 54C

Temp 6: 54C

Temp7 54C

CPU: 84C

GPU: 48C

Seems VERY hot to me.  I am going to buy a small fan today and try aiming it through the cooling vents.  I went to Windows updates and it was all up to date except two optional updates, one for Bing and another for something I forgot what it was but I installed.  It was nothing important.  As for MSE, I may have run the speccy after running combofix that requires turning off MSE real time protection.  Otherwise, I have it turned on all the time.

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

I'd get a can of compressed gas from a store selling computers or office supplies and blow that through the intake vents on the bottom of the laptop.  It's not expensive, and it works much better than a fan.

Don't forget about that antivirus and the Windows updates, they're very important too.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#11 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

You think this is something as simple as dust?  Or are you suggesting that I blow gas into the vents when I notice it getting hot?  Also, I have replaced keyboards and even laptop screens and I am more than up to stripping it down and putting on thermal paste if you think it will help.  I watched a youtube video and it seems super easy.  They recommended Tuniq brand.  You agree?

#12 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:03 AM

Maybe I should update my fan?  Does speedfan speed it up?  I couldn't really figure out how to use it to help.  Thanks so much for the help.

#13 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

As a general practice, it's a good idea to blow compressed gas into the air intake vents every 6 months on laptops.  Everything is so tightly packed into as small a space as the manufacturers can get them, so laptops are much more susceptible to overheating than desktops.  Unless your laptop's over 3-4 years old, you probably don't need to worry about the thermal compound on the CPU & fan.  Get the compressed gas & use it, then see what the temps are.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:56 PM

As for MSE, I may have run the speccy after running combofix that requires turning off MSE real time protection

Just to notify jlpelham with regard to using combofix without malware expert supervision.

You should not run ComboFix unless you are specifically asked to by a helper. Also, due to the power of this tool it is strongly advised that you do not attempt to act upon any of the information displayed by ComboFix without supervision from someone who has been properly trained. If you do so, it may lead to problems with the normal functionality of your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Tekken

#15 jlpelham

jlpelham
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

My laptop IS 3-4 years old.  It continues to run VERY hot.  I had it on,idle, for 36 hours, and checked Speccy.  Temps were all around 59-65C.  Right now, it's running fast, but I shut it off for a while.  As I was about to click post on this comment, I decided to check it again.  Motherboard is 68-74C and CPU is 63-65C.

Is there any way to speed up my fan?  Or should I replace my fan?  The thermal paste seems pretty easy to apply and I have no problem taking my case apart to access it, but if the motherboard is THAT HOT, then paste won't address that problem/issue will it?  But a fan should help.  Must be something I can do.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users