Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Upgrade Reccomendations? Dell Vostro 400 quad core

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dwbowes

dwbowes

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:16 PM

Hello, I am looking to upgrade my computer.  It's a DELL VOSTRO 400 quad core.  I have gone through 2 graphics cards with it and love tho computer so instead of buying a brand new one i have decided to upgrade this one.  At the moment i have 4 gigs of ram, 250 gigs on the hard drive, and a small power supply. can anyone recommend some hardware for an upgrade?  What specs should i post? I want to wipe my hard drive and start a new with the files i want.  i have around 500$ to spend. I need it to run Maya/3DS max, photoshop, and zbrush efficiently. Any help would be very appreciated!

I definitely want to get a new graphics card, motherboard, 8 more gigs of ram, power supply, cooling fans, and a new case if i need it.

Thanks for the future info!

~Dan

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2014 - 06:24 PM.
Moved from XP to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 PM

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:56 PM

i would recommend a gtx 285 card with the old 200b gpu. it can be soft modded to a quadro 5800 workstation class card. it was the last generation consumer-class card that didn't have the firmware locked out so as to force users to purchase the exorbitant quadro series.. it was also the last generation that had rich OpenGL provisions.

you can pick one up for around $50 in the usual hardware channels. i use similar apps and that is what i did. 

the gtx 285 needs around 200 watts capacity so it will need a 650 watt power supply with two 6 pin connections off of it. I use an Ultra 650 with a nice 64 amp 12volt rail.

Edited by synergy513, 25 June 2014 - 06:12 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#3 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

i would recommend a gtx 285 card with the old 200b gpu. it can be soft modded to a quadro 5800 workstation class card. it was the last generation consumer-class card that didn't have the firmware locked out so as to force users to purchase the exorbitant quadro series.. it was also the last generation that had rich OpenGL provisions.

you can pick one up for around $50 in the usual hardware channels. i use similar apps and that is what i did. 

the gtx 285 needs around 200 watts capacity so it will need a 650 watt power supply with two 6 pin connections off of it. I use an Ultra 650 with a nice 64 amp 12volt rail.

thanks for the recommendation! is this the card you are talking about?:

http://www3.pny.com/font-color999999GTX-285-1024MB-PCIe-20font-P2744C396.aspx

I am also looking into this card, the Visiontek Radeon HD 4650 Graphic Card - 1 GB DDR2 SDRAM

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/visiontek-radeon-hd-4650-graphic-card-1-gb-ddr2-sdram-dvi/212923398.html?listingId=-1&scid=pla_google_rakuten.com&adid=17379&gclid=CNC208fSlb8CFYqPfgodcj0ADg

what do you think would work best? i need it for gaming and game creation

Thanks Again!
~Dan

#4 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 05:36 PM

i don't know much about the ati/amd  workstation class cards, the software i use is coded for nvidia.

in reality, the workstation cards are designed to get the visualization and geometry accurate and precise before proceeding in space and time., the performance cards just move along to the next frame without much processing to get better speed.

it would be way easier to soft-mod the 9800gt into the quadro 3700. i had to use language interpreters alot to get my gtx 285 done as the procedure was available in foreign languages mostly.

techarp is the site that is the best guide.

as for gaming, the options are as deep as your pockets allow.  i was just reading about crossfiring the r9 290 for around $800 and getting the best performance that others pay over $1000 for.

but for the budget minded, the hd 7770 is about is good as it gets for cheap if you wanted to buy new hardware..

but for a real satisfying experience on a budget . the gtx 760 or the r9 270x is what users are going with for $220-250.

if it were me, i would go with the nvidia kepler gtx 660. their priices have dropped considerably.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#sort=a8&c=114

this processor is a fave of mine, it will pretty much keep up with the high-end/enthusiast graphics adapters i think without too much expense....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504&cm_re=i5_3570k-_-19-116-504-_-Product

Edited by synergy513, 01 July 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#5 dwbowes

dwbowes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:25 AM

Thanks a bunch!!! i ordered the GeForce GTX 660 as well as a new 650W power supply and some more RAM.  This will hopefully make my computer MUCH better!

By the way, you mention "soft modding" alot, what do you mean by that?

~Dan

Edited by dwbowes, 04 July 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#6 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:57 PM

very expensive workstation cards are using the very same hardware (gpu chip etc.) as the consumer class performance cards. years ago, soft-modding the consumer cards meant flashing the internal gpu bios and installing the workstation drivers. around 3 or 4 years ago, the oem consumer class cards were prevented from being able to do this, so users who needed the workstation cards for their applications would be forced to part with significant funds to obtain workstation hardware. i guess the best way to put it is that businesses were being gouged. that is fine mostly, the exorbitant costs  are just tax status to them, but the private individual users on a budget were left holding a bag of wishes and are learning to get by with consumer class cards with applications that require workstation specific functionality.

congratulations on your new hardware procurement. the gtx 660 and the 650 watt power supply will be a welcome addition i am sure.

i will be following this topic and if all goes well, you will be up and running with your upgraded PC components.

Edited by synergy513, 04 July 2014 - 03:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users