Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

I have a P450-XFX Radeon HD 5450 650M 1GB DDR3 PCIe HDMI/DVI/VGA as a spare part and my friend wanted to try it on his XP upgraded to Windows 7 computer because he was having video problems. So I went with him so he could try it out and he said it ran somewhat better but when he went to play Solitaire, the following message showed up: Hardware acceleration is either disabled or not supported by your video card driver, which could slow game performance.

My question is: when I check out specs for a video card what do I look for so I’ll know whether or not it supports hardware acceleration?

In case you’d like to know I helped him get his computer running fine, windows updates etc. including the video

He has on-board NVIDIA GeForce 6150 LE; we opened the NVIDIA control panel; it reported it had the latest driver but it worked fine after that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

If it's a video card made since the early 1990's the chances are it will have some form of hardware acceleration!  The HD 5450 while not great by today's standards as a 3D accelerator is perfectly good for common desktop stuff and accelerating HD video.

I would suspect some sort of driver problem.  It's best to fully uninstall the Nvidia display driver before fitting an AMD video card.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:12 AM

Thanks jonuk76; I never thought of uninstalling the Nvidia display driver first

--- Would it matter that his computer has an Intel chipset but the HD5450 is an AMD unit?

--- As you say the HD5450 isn't great by todays standards but I have it as a spare part just in case it's good enough to evaluate a video problem like my friend's claim

--- As it turned out he didn't have a video problem, all he had to do was get his Windows Updates etc. in order and he now has a Windows 7 OS that runs as good as a new computer with his original onboard Nvidia

Well a thought just came to my mind; is a recommendation to have a better video as a spare for todays standards that isn't expensive? 

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:59 AM

I think the Nvidia and AMD drivers will potentially clash with each other and could potentially cause problems.  It could explain the hardware acceleration error.  Another possibility is if the AMD card was just using the generic Windows SVGA driver - this doesn't support any hardware acceleration.

- No having an Intel chipset doesn't matter - they work fine with AMD cards.

- Yes it's perfectly good for that use.  All I meant was it's a fine card as long as you don't expect too much from it in terms of 3D performance. Some people don't need any 3D acceleration functions anyway. For fault finding or to keep as a spare it's perfect.

- I wouldn't but it would depend on whether you wanted a spare capable of running higher 3D frame rates.  Personally I've never bought a part specifically to keep as a spare.  I've just acquired them as freebies (and don't throw out stuff I probably should) or through replacing and upgrading parts.  I've got things from a 3DFX (remember them?) Voodoo 3 to a Geforce 7300GT to a Radeon HD 5770 which I could use as spares.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 cmptrgy

cmptrgy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 07:05 AM

jonuk76 thanks for your excellent comments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users