Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPhone and forgotten password for home WIFI

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Twin B

Twin B

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

I'll try to explain this predicament as best as I can. My grandson bought a new iPhone about a month ago and he wants to use it at home with his WIFI to access Facebook. We installed a WIFI about 5 years ago but he's hardly used it and has forgotten his password and even the network name we used. He has an older Dell computer running XP with an old router attached, not sure where the installation CD or instructions are for the router. Is it possible to create a new password & network name? What to do? Thanks. Joe.

I've learned blood is not thicker than money. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:39 PM

What is the brand and model of the router?

More than likely, you will be able to do a factory reset on the router.  If you provide a brand and model, then we should be able to find a manual online that will provide the factory reset instructions (and also provide you with a manual for future use).  Most routers have a reset button on the back that you press and hold for some period of time to do a factory reset.

Once you do a factory reset, it will be like you just opened it out of the box when you first got it…i.e. use the default password and network SSID (aka network name) or even not have the WiFi setup, but the router's password will be back to the default.

#3 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks, I'll find out the brand and model then post back here. 

#4 Twin B

Twin B
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:50 PM

Lo and behold, on the underside of the router was a sticker with all the info I need: admin name & password, SSID, etc. I guess I'll try the name & password to see if it solves my problem; hope I didn't change it to something else, something 'easier to remember'. I'll just reset the router if the username was changed, is that right? Thanks for your help smax. 

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 02 July 2014 - 09:12 PM

Lo and behold, on the underside of the router was a sticker with all the info I need: admin name & password, SSID, etc. I guess I'll try the name & password to see if it solves my problem; hope I didn't change it to something else, something 'easier to remember'. I'll just reset the router if the username was changed, is that right? Thanks for your help smax.

Sorry for not responding sooner, but I was out of town for a while and had not had many chances to log to BC. I am hoping you have it resolved by now, but if not…

Yes, if the router login name and password is not default, then you can do a factory reset.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users