Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Diagnostics Policy Service stopped unable to restart

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bez7

bez7

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:59 PM

Heads up guys - here is what happened.  Last Friday I got an email from a formerly trusted by me update alert service informing me that an update for youtubedownloader was available.  I downloaded it and my popular leading antivirus program popped up and warned of malicious add-ons and requested permission to remove them.  Ok, I looked and found that the download had changed my working Yahoo home page with lots of features to another strange bare minimum Yahoo page.  So the antivirus did its job.

HOWEVER, I was instantly removed from any internet access.  Long story but the reason was "diagnostics policy service" was not running.  First I tried several Restore points; most failed but itone was successful but did not fix the problem.  Next,I went to my wife's computer to search online for answers.   Microsoft Community gave an answer but when attempted - "denied".  Next support.microsoft.com kb943996 "regedit.exe"" and "run as Administrator" resulted in Error 1069. and so my whole weekend went.  I even tried the nuclear option of reloading the Win 7 Ult O/S but would not get past loading temporary files.  Note: my computer continued to work fine otherwise just no access to internet.

There are several other forums with others having variations of this problem but my specific problem was listed as having three others asking the same question BUT NO ANSWERS.  My tech friend advised going to "services.msc" to find the services list and "restart".  All attempts resulted in Error 1069 or Error 1053 whenever an attempt to change Diagnostics Policy Service from "stopped" to "start".

So I went to church Sunday.  When I got home I tried one more time to ask the question online with my wife's computer and found Bleeping Computer posting with my question and some answers.  Here is the specific site

www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/473002/diagnostics-policy-service-is-not-running  that provided the information that resulted in effective action for my problem but should fix almost any other Windows problem.

Thank you Bleeping Computers and THANK YOU BC ADVISOR in India for your answer that led me to the "Windows repair tool".

IMO Microsoft should buy the program and make it available on their FixIt site.  It really works and anyone who can download to a flash drive and plug it into a sick computer can use it with good success.  Of course I am going to let everybody I know about this wonderful BLEEPING COMPUTER forum. 

Bez7  ;-)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:21 PM

Glad you resolved it...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users