Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding Microsoft Word And Powerpoint

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bsarvello

bsarvello

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 08:42 AM

We purchased a Dell with XP Home installed. What is the easiest and cheapest way of adding Word and Powerpoint?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:14 AM

If you have not already purchased the MS products, try OpenOffice.org, which has a comparable word processor, spreadsheet, database, and presentation application. These are all almost completely compatible with their MS conterparts (you can retrieve MS files, and save OO.o files as MS types). The best thing about the suite is that it is completely FREE!
For more information, sample pages, and documentation:
http://www.openoffice.org/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:24 AM

OpenOffice is excellent.

If you really want Word and PowerPoint then you must purchase them. If you are a student then you can get a student/teacher version for less than the full retail versions.

Also if you want these programs along with Excel and Outlook you need to purchase Office, and again, there are several versions of this available.

For software purchases I have had good luck with AtomicPark, but I don't think they have student/teacher versions. Your local OfficeMax or Office Depot will, though.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 28 May 2006 - 09:25 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:03 PM

Student/teacher versions have less functional ability than business aps though.

You have to research what you want and then search for the best deal.

Office 2000 can be bought fairly cheaply if you don't need the most current version and Open Office is sufficient for most users and free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users