Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wishful backup with imminent failing hard disk.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TechNoob1

TechNoob1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hello, I am new here. Please let me know if you have any input on my computer troubles.

So my hp dv6 was failing the other day.. I got a message saying "windows detected a hard disk problem etc.." The fans have been noisy for a couple of weeks, but I was not smart enough to take any file backups for months. So I started taking backup over to an external right at the probably worst moment. The computer froze in a loading mode some minutes in to the copying. I turned the computer off old fashion style and on again. Here I was met with a black screen saying "the smart disk has detected an imminent failure. Please backup etc.."

Windows will not load, it just goes back to the black screen adding "boot device not found". At system diagnotics, hard disk test freezes at 12%. My friend tried booting up with linux zorin, but we still could not access any files on the hard disk, it froze when opening map.. A horrible mechanic fan sound appeared both times, so I shut it off again. Now, what is there to do? Is there any way I could access or fix the dying hard disk?

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2014 - 04:57 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,278 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

From what you are describing, horrible mechanic fan sound, probably not.  Sounds like you're describing a hard drive head crash  Any further attempts to recover data may cause more damage.  Hard drives are not my specialty, so I may be wrong.  See if someone else has a better idea.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:19 PM

It's doubtful at this point I'm afraid.  You could try taking the disk out and putting it into an enclosure (they cost around $25) and connecting it to a USB port on another computer, but your description of the symptoms sounds right grim.  There are companies that will recover data from a dead hard drive, but they're extremely expensive.  

The school of hard knocks is a great teacher, but it is painful.   When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $60 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus Todo Backup Free.  That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 techgeek127

techgeek127

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:18 PM

If you're out of alternatives, you can try freezing the drive. That's a last alternative. Worked once for me...the other time not so good. But it was dead anyway. The one that worked in the freezer is still active..but only as a backup after I copied everything on it. Wrap it in tight plastic and freeze it overnight. Pull it out and let it warm to room temp BEFORE unwrapping it so there's no condensation...Probably all day warming. The idea is that a head might shrink enough from the cold to move again. Be ready to copy fast. Once it heats up it may die. Your bad fans may have allowed the drive to overheat. Replace the fans before the next drive if it was a fan.

#5 Kirbyofdeath

Kirbyofdeath

• Members
  • 459 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:32 PM

Does it sounf like this?

If any of these sounds like your hdd, the you probably will need to send it in to a hdd recovery company

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users