Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PSU question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 YSpYkeY

YSpYkeY

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:09 PM

Ok this is my current rig:
CPU:Intel i5 2300
GPU:ASUS GTX 750ti
RAM:8 GB
PSU:620 W

Now what i wanna do is get an AMD FX 8350 CPU a manhattan 7.1 sound card and an ssd.
Will my current PSU support that?

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2014 - 02:19 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to System Building - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

Well...you omitted one of the most important considerations...the motherboard :).

I doubt if your current MB, which appears to be an Intel board, would support an AMD processor.

Out of curiosity...what is it that you think that you will gain by new components?

There's a lot more to consider than the PSU, IMO...depending on what your goal/intent is.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#3 YSpYkeY

YSpYkeY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:14 PM

Ok so my MB is an ASUS P8Z68-V LX and yeah it's an Intel chipset...
Well with the new cpu and ssd i wish faster booting and rendering videos is Sony Vegas,my sound card is intergrated and i wish to get a new one for better sound quality :)

#4 YSpYkeY

YSpYkeY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:18 PM

Can you reccomend me an Intel CPU thats similar to that AMD one price-wise.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:34 PM

Intel and price don't belong in the same sentence.  If you want to save money you build with AMD, unfortunately that is not an option for you.  Since you're running an i5 already I don't know that a CPU upgrade on a price level of any AMD CPU would do anything for you.

I don't know that a separate sound card is going to be much of an improvement.  Back in the olden days the case would be different, but in the past five to ten years on board sound has gotten much better.

My advice would be to do the SSD upgrade, this will decrease your boot times.  After you have done that see how your performance is and where your bottleneck when doing your rendering.  Pull up Task Manager and switch to the Performance tab.  This will show you if your CPU is being maxed out.  If it is then a CPU upgrade is what you're going to need, but for your current price you're not going to see that much improvement.  I know that Handbrake will max out all 12 of my CPUs when converting from a DVD to MP4, but that is by design.

#6 YSpYkeY

YSpYkeY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:37 PM

I'm getting a sound card because my intergrated sound card doesn't go well with condenser microphones(which i have right now).Im thinking of getting an Intel i5 4690k.Opinion?

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:47 PM

It doesn't look like your motherboard supports that CPU

#8 YSpYkeY

YSpYkeY
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

Then i guess I'll get the i5 3570k seen some benchmarks its actually better than the fx 8350

#9 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,065 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:57 PM

that is a sweet cpu. it is the new 22nm and i think they are around 200 bucks new, it uses the 77 series board and the 1155 socket. not much of an improvement from what you already have though, more like an enhancement.

Edited by synergy513, 25 June 2014 - 07:31 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users