Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative browser for Windows Phone

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:52 PM

I never liked IE. What is a good alternative browser for Windows phone? I was looking for Google Chrome but all Chrome app I see on Windows Store are not developed by Google. Everything I found are developed by chinese individuals which I don't really trust. Any suggestions please?

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

I don't use a Windows phone but know people who do. Alternative browsers I've heard mentioned positively are, and in no particular order. Maxthon, UC Browser, Next Browser and Opera mini. I'm sure there are more but those are the ones I've heard positive things about. See which one suits your browsing style and needs. It might be one I haven't heard of or mentioned.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

With Windows Phone all third party browsers are based off IE code (i.e. the backend stuff is what you'll find in IE) due to (security) restrictions with the OS . The only difference, generally, is the UI.

AFAIK, Opera Mini isn't available for Windows Phone (the others Animal lists are though): a fake Opera Mini was available but is now called Mini Web Browser.

Casey

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#4 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:15 PM

Actually, IE's UI is really what I don't like. I am testing the Maxthon right now (thanks @Animal) and so far I am agreeing with it. I like the quick links feature. Sort of like a speed dial.

Thanks for the thoughts too Casey.

Cheers!

Edited by badr0b0t, 23 June 2014 - 02:18 PM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:23 PM

I stand corrected on the Opera Mini. I missed the fine print 'This app is no longer published'.

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/opera-mini/2edaadd3-aab6-4ddb-8b27-36495a3eca04

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#6 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:02 PM

Yeah I think it got removed Animal - if you look at the publisher you'll see it's not Opera. in fact, if you click on the dev name you'll see they've released another browser app called Mini Web Browser (which I think is the same but just no longer branded as Opera Mini).

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#7 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:15 AM

Yeah I think it got removed Animal - if you look at the publisher you'll see it's not Opera. in fact, if you click on the dev name you'll see they've released another browser app called Mini Web Browser (which I think is the same but just no longer branded as Opera Mini).

Maybe it's not really done by Opera just like the Chrome browsers that I see there. Opera may have asked the developer to stop using their brand. Just a thought. Maxthon is working well so far. I just experienced some freezing  a while ago but I am still giving it a second chance.

Edited by badr0b0t, 24 June 2014 - 09:15 AM.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#8 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:46 AM

I also installed the UC Browser and it is much faster. The UI is very light and nice, too.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thanks for keeping us updated. So that others may learn from your experience with alternative browsers on a Windows phone.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 badr0b0t

badr0b0t
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 09:52 PM

It's official! I am switching to UC Browser. Maxthon is kind of sluggish.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:54 AM

Thank you for letting us know what's working best for you. This way others can learn from your experience as well.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#12 Comfr3y

Comfr3y

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 22 May 2015 - 01:13 PM

I don't like IE much but it does sync with my laptop under "other" view of browsing. does that work for the UC or other browsers?

#13 DAVID SHELDON

DAVID SHELDON

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:53 AM

according to me u have to go for opera or UC browser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users