Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have a question about command prompt

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:47 AM

Is there a way I can set my HP mini 110 back to factory settings in the command prompt? That is the only place the computer will allow me to go. I have tried everything and thats it I only get command prompt. Please help with anything possible with that program.

Thank you

Lisa :smash:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KJackson50

KJackson50

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:56 AM

The only thing I can think of is sysprep, however I don't know what windows OS you have or even if it is on your computer. Can you tell us why the computer is not logging you into windows? Maybe we can start there.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

From the command prompt you can type HELP and it will list everything you can do there.  Restoring to factory settings there is not going to be an option though.  You need to look at your user guide for that.  It's usually listed under Start -> All Programs -> HP.  If you can't find it, you should be able to download it from the HP web site.  

From what I could find this is a 2009 vintage netbook with XP.  As you should know, XP has been unsupported since 4/8/14 and it just going to be increasingly more and more exposed to malware in the future, so I'd get hold of one of the Linux versions, put it on a flash drive, and boot from it.  You can run it in trial mode without having to install anything, just boot from it, click TRY and in 3 min. you'll be up and running with a Windows like user interface.  I like the Mint and Ubuntu versions which you can download from http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and http://www.ubuntu.com/download .  They work well, come with Firefox and LibreOffice, and are supported.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

The only chance you would have to do a factory reset is if you have a recovery partition and it is intact. See this page. You can access the factory reset function at boot if it is available.

I would also recommend you go to a linux distro but to run on a mini netbook you would need a smaller distro like the following.

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/10/12-great-linux-operating-systems-for.html

Edit: Is there any data that needs to be recovered before doing the factroy reset which will erase anything you put on the computer.

Edit Edit: If this computer did come with Windows 7 and not XP the use the following method. Boot the computer and tap the F11 key to access the recovery manager.

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2014 - 12:44 PM.

#5 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

The only thing I can think of is sysprep, however I don't know what windows OS you have or even if it is on your computer. Can you tell us why the computer is not logging you into windows? Maybe we can start there.

It just keeps looping back to startup repair. I have tried all the F keys and pretty much tried everything. It will only let me go to command prompt. I have a hp mini 110 with win 7. I only have access to a thumb drive or I can take it out and connect hard drive to this computer, that is how I got a back up.

The only chance you would have to do a factory reset is if you have a recovery partition and it is intact. See this page. You can access the factory reset function at boot if it is available.

I would also recommend you go to a linux distro but to run on a mini netbook you would need a smaller distro like the following.

http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2013/10/12-great-linux-operating-systems-for.html

Edit: Is there any data that needs to be recovered before doing the factroy reset which will erase anything you put on the computer.

Edit Edit: If this computer did come with Windows 7 and not XP the use the following method. Boot the computer and tap the F11 key to access the recovery manager.

It just keeps looping back to startup repair. I have tried all the F keys and pretty much tried everything. It will only let me go to command prompt. I have a hp mini 110 with win 7. I only have access to a thumb drive or I can take it out and connect hard drive to this computer, that is how I got a back up.

#6 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:25 PM

From the command prompt you can type HELP and it will list everything you can do there.  Restoring to factory settings there is not going to be an option though.  You need to look at your user guide for that.  It's usually listed under Start -> All Programs -> HP.  If you can't find it, you should be able to download it from the HP web site.  

From what I could find this is a 2009 vintage netbook with XP.  As you should know, XP has been unsupported since 4/8/14 and it just going to be increasingly more and more exposed to malware in the future, so I'd get hold of one of the Linux versions, put it on a flash drive, and boot from it.  You can run it in trial mode without having to install anything, just boot from it, click TRY and in 3 min. you'll be up and running with a Windows like user interface.  I like the Mint and Ubuntu versions which you can download from http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php and http://www.ubuntu.com/download .  They work well, come with Firefox and LibreOffice, and are supported.

Good luck.

Good luck.

It has windows 7, and I cant boot to windows, it only just loops back to system repair over and over

#7 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Actually it did have xp on it initially and then it was upgraded to windows 7. When I do a <dir> on the x:\windows\system32.....it gives me 930 files and 68 directories.....if I do a <dir> on C: it says volume in drive C is system reserved file not found....if I do a <dir> in D: it says volume in D has no label  found 4 files and 20 directories. If that helps any

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:58 PM

I went to the HP support web site and located the following:

HP Mini 210, HP Mini 110, and

Compaq Mini CQ10

Maintenance and Service Guide

On page 83 I found the following

7 Backup and recovery

Backing up and recovering your information
Recovering using the dedicated recovery partition
When using the dedicated recovery partition, there is an option to back up pictures, music and other
audio, videos and movies, recorded TV shows, documents, spreadsheets and presentations, e-mails, Internet favorites and settings during this process.
To restore the computer from the partition, follow these steps:
Access Recovery Manager in either of the following ways:
Select
Start All Programs Recovery Manager Recovery Manager
– or –

Turn on or restart the computer, and then press
esc
while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Then, press f11
while the “F11 (HP Recovery)” message is displayed on the screen
Click System Recovery in the Recovery Manager window.
Follow the onscreen instructions.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
And you know what?  I read all that, and contrary to what some people believe, it doesn't give you leprosy to read it!  :graduate: 

Good luck.

Edited by wpgwpg, 23 June 2014 - 02:00 PM.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

I am assuming you do not want to go back to XP. I don't know if the D: Directory is a Recovery partition but when you look through the file listing, what are some of the directories named? But, type these commands at the command prompt: Press Enter after each command. Then try to reboot. If it gives an error post back.

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /SCANOS

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 June 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#10 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

I went to the HP support web site and located the following:

HP Mini 210, HP Mini 110, and

Compaq Mini CQ10

Maintenance and Service Guide

On page 83 I found the following

7 Backup and recovery

Backing up and recovering your information
Recovering using the dedicated recovery partition
When using the dedicated recovery partition, there is an option to back up pictures, music and other
audio, videos and movies, recorded TV shows, documents, spreadsheets and presentations, e-mails, Internet favorites and settings during this process.
To restore the computer from the partition, follow these steps:
Access Recovery Manager in either of the following ways:
Select
Start All Programs Recovery Manager Recovery Manager
– or –

Turn on or restart the computer, and then press
esc
while the “Press the ESC key for Startup Menu” message is displayed at the bottom of the screen.
Then, press f11
while the “F11 (HP Recovery)” message is displayed on the screen
Click System Recovery in the Recovery Manager window.
Follow the onscreen instructions.
````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
And you know what?  I read all that, and contrary to what some people believe, it doesn't give you leprosy to read it!  :graduate: 

Good luck.

It just went right back to the startup repair

#11 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

I am assuming you do not want to go back to XP. I don't know if the D: Directory is a Recovery partition but when you look through the file listing, what are some of the directories named? But, type these commands at the command prompt: Press Enter after each command. Then try to reboot. If it gives an error post back.

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /SCANOS

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

How do I upload a picture to you? I took a pic of the files it has on D directory but I cant see where I can upload to you??

#12 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:38 PM

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /SCANOS

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

How do I upload a picture to you? I took a pic of the files it has on D directory but I cant see where I can upload to you??

And which directory do I type those commands into? x? C? D?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Type the commands at the C: Prompt.

If you click more reply options, you can attach a file.

#14 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:51 PM

Ok here is a pic below of the drives C, D, and X

Attached Files

#15 Lisamarie35

Lisamarie35