Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For encryption, this changes everything - 160 Petabytes in 250 nano seconds

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan

Nathan

DecrypterFixer

• Security Colleague
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:54 PM

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-type-computer-capable-calculating-640tbs-data-one-billionth-second-could

Being able to calculate 160 Petabytes in 250 nanoseconds is just completely hard to imagine. But me having some type of weird passion for encryption malware, i immediately looked at this in a cracking kind of way.

Now obviously im not talking about taking on a full RSA 2048 key here through factoring, or anything like that, but i look at it like this. 

On my current GPU i can crack a 16 length (8 byte) Hex password / key in under 2 days, and that is on a GTX 860, a good card but not great.

But with this kind of technology, when guessing the seed of an encryption, the sky is the limit. If i had this right now, i wouldn't even need to find a way to go around a loop hole in Cryptorbit's current encryption, I could simply crack a 40 char (20 bytes) HEX key in a moment, and be done with it. 

Of course this could also be used for bad things to. With our technology right now, we can easly crack passwords that are around 10-12 chars on a GPU in a sane amount of time.

With this, even a 32 char password would be a security issue.

Have you performed a routine backup today?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:06 PM

That is fast, Imagine this type of PC at NASA before Kennedy made that speech about putting man on the moon. Moon nothing More like Mars.  Sadly I think this sort of thing will be used for data mining, Making weapons, Spying on peoples ( encrypted) mail,, And if this is what they are showing us, Just think of what they actually have in terms of processing power. You know Top Top Top secret

That's all fine and well, My question however is, Will I be able to run my M$ based OS on this and open a browser without waiting 5 minutes?

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 10:07 PM.

#3 Nathan

Nathan

DecrypterFixer

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,617 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:26 PM

Yes this can pump out some serious problems for malicious use, But i just keep thinking about all the infections that could be counter acted with this. Encryption would most likely evolve very quickly though, they will have to.

And i think it will be quite a long time before you will see this type of power for personal reasons. This would be more used as expansions to businesses, Mining (good and bad), and cryptography, when it first hits public.

Kind of like ASIC cards now. They are able to put out tons and tons of speed, but they are really only good for one thing, and thats mining. But i do believe it will eventually get to personal devices.

and i agree, if this is being talked about now, how long have they been sitting in government buildings? God i would love to get my hand on one.

#4 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:40 PM

UNCRACKABLE quantum keys. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/30/get_uncrackable_quantum_keys_from_a_smartphone/

ANU Quantum Random Numbers Server. http://qrng.anu.edu.au/index.php
Live Quantum Numbers. https://qrng.anu.edu.au/RainBin.php

A hacker exploited publicly known vulnerabilities (http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/528543) to install malware on network-attached storage systems manufactured by Synology and used their computing power to generate Dogecoins, a type of cryptocurrency. Using CPUs and GPUs to solve cryptographic problems as part of cryptocurrency systems is an activity referred to as mining.
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9249144/Hacked_Synology_NAS_systems_used_in_big_profit_cryptocurrency_mining_scheme?taxonomyId=17

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

InternetDefenseLeague-footer-badge.png

#5 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:50 PM

NASA before Kennedy made that speech about putting man on the moon.

Apollo Guidance Computer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

Today, you have more computing power in your mobile phone.

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. ― Albert Einstein ― Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

#6 Nathan

Nathan

DecrypterFixer

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,617 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:57 PM

NASA before Kennedy made that speech about putting man on the moon.

Apollo Guidance Computer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_Guidance_Computer

Today, you have more computing power in your mobile phone.

and that is the exact reason that todays "uncrackable  quantum keys", are tomorrows security risk.

I'm just excited for the small window of opportunity in between.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

Hey Decrypt have you done the numbers yet? How long would it take to break a cryptolocker key on this?

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:29 AM

Wait until you see real world results.  Anyone can say their device does X, Y, or Z.  The question is does it perform in the real world.

#9 Nathan

Nathan

DecrypterFixer

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,617 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:59 AM

Wait until you see real world results.  Anyone can say their device does X, Y, or Z.  The question is does it perform in the real world.

I do not quite agree with this. Sure, these super computers aren't good at preforming everything that a modern computer can, But at their current state, its not what they are for. This goes with the comment i said above..

And i think it will be quite a long time before you will see this type of power for personal reasons. This would be more used as expansions to businesses, Mining (good and bad), and cryptography, when it first hits public.

And the hp device "The machine" shouldn't be really looked at as a quantum computer in my opinion. At least not in its current state, it should be looked at as a something to help a computer device in its day to day at all. It should be looked at as a expansion part to a computer that would be used as a number crunching machine, and thats it. Of course it would perhaps evolve later.

Take a Bitcoin mining card for example, The Monarch specifically. This card is capable of outputting 600 GH/s, This is amazing for a single card. Now imagine a warehouse of 1000 of them. You have a algorithm cracking machine, but guess what? That is all it ever will be. This will never help you open your browser faster, or send funny cat pictures to your friends any quicker. Not at its current state at least, and thats how i see Themachine. 

Maybe one day we will be able to compute petaflops out of our smartphones, but in my opinion this is redundant, and unneeded. 

Also, i would imagine that if there are articles that claim this machine output 160 petabytes of data in a mere 250 nanoseconds, then some kind of benchmark was done to come up with these numbers, and even if it was a specific task, this is still amazing. Even if this could only factor a number at 100 petabytes in 1 second, this still changes encryption.

And not to mention the Memristors are a huge step on its own. These will also change computers for the better.

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:29 PM

The Machine.

http://youtu.be/Gxn5ru7klUQ

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:29 AM

And the hp device "The machine" shouldn't be really looked at as a quantum computer in my opinion.

That's not what I was implying.  Quantum computers are supposed to be blazing fast compared to regular PCs, however we don't have the proof yet.  Until there is an actual third party real world test this is just HP marketing.

#12 Nathan

Nathan

DecrypterFixer

• Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,617 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

I apologize if im not understanding correctly then. All past Quantum computer tests do not apply here, because this is not a Quantum computer. Quantum computer is still very unknown and has awhile, but this machine is not. This is taking 2 technology's that have had their potential known for awhile, memristor and fiber optics, and putting them into a single device with already made cpus.

If you have been following this technology, it has been clear for awhile it was only a matter of time before it was to be put into a working device, and there are tons of benchmarking tests of memristor on the net already. And fiber optics over traditional copper is a no brianer. These are the 2 biggest things in "The Machine", so its quite easy to imagine the above posted speeds. Not to mention that HP has already replaced their whole server racks from 25 traditional computers with these, bringing it down from 25 servers to 3.

I have a hard time believing that the numbers were just pulled from no where for a marketing scheme, as i have seen the performance that  memristor are capable of. Also, hp will be hosting an open-source development project for making an operating system for the new technology. This makes me believe in it even more.

#13 Crazy Cat

Crazy Cat

• Members
  • 808 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

25 GPUs brute force 348 billion hashes per second to crack your passwords.
http://hackaday.com/2012/12/06/25-gpus-brute-force-348-billion-hashes-per-second-to-crack-your-passwords/
https://securityledger.com/2012/12/new-25-gpu-monster-devours-passwords-in-seconds/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users