Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why a separate email client?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 964 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:14 PM

This question is what seems useful to ask after reading http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537071/transferring-e-mail-system-from-old-xp-to-new-win-8-computer/

Why or what is the advantage of using a separate email client software program, when webmail lets you do everything(?) that you would want without installing an email client on your computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:28 PM

There are those of us that rather have the email on our computers and not stored on a server. There are times I want to read my email while off-line. Some people like to integrate their email into their calendar client as well. Those are just three things you can't do with webmail.

I'm sure there are a lot more, that I either don't do or use. Or don't come to mind at the moment.

Not dire, but what if the server is down when you want to look at an email you have read but need to refresh your memory. That has happened to me more than once in my email use career.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

If you change internet providers, your account is deleted, you lose your email address and access to that providers mail. It's deleted from the server, never to be seen again. Many have lost important emails and contacts after changing providers when they did not realize this would happen.

Using an email client, your mail will still be there. All you have to do is change the server information from the old provider to the new one.

You can also easily back up mail and contacts in a client. Most web mail will not allow you to back it up.

Some web based mail does not let one set up mail filters and rules. This can be done with an email client.

If you have multiple email accounts you can set them all up in the client. No need to go to different websites in order to read/send mail. I open my client. By default my primary ISP account mail is shown. When I want to look at mail sent to my secondary ISP account I click that account name in the list and immediately get switched to it.

No ads in email clients.

Easy access. Click an icon on my desktop, client opens and I don't have to sign in because I have it set up so I don't have to enter my password each time.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 June 2014 - 10:28 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:02 AM

I use Thunderbird.  The main reason is to get my mail off of their servers.  I have my e-mail probably have almost two decades of mail, but not everything.  I've had personal e-mail from the early 90s when I was switching ISPs frequently.  Then along came the web mail providers.  Having been around this long I know that nothing is forever and if the e-mail is left on their servers then you don't have control over your data.  Downloading them give me control over my data.

I don't save everything, but keep it for reference, especially great for online purchases.  I don't frequently go into my e-mail, other than to download the current mail.  However this weekend I reloaded my machine and need to get license keys and such and just needed to go into my e-mail to find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users