Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD and computer crashing

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 trez0r

trez0r

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hi about 6-7 months ago I was starting to get a BSOD a couple times a day than it stopped up until about a week ago now I get BSOD usually when I am playing a game and the computer still starts up and usable.

The error codes I have been getting are : STOP: 0x000007A and sometimes 0x00000f4.

I'm not sure how to fix it or if it can be fixed i'm almost ready to give up and just buy a new computer but figured I would try here first before I do. I haven't made any changes in hardwre to my computer except for a nvidia geforce 650ti video card that I got someone else to install it so don't think anything went wrong there.

I also ran a diagnostic test when starting up my computer and it said the CD-ROM(i think) had failed here is what it said.

Testing: WDC WD10EADS-65L5B1 (WD-WCAU4D124296)

Drive Error code : BIOHD- 0

Error: A smart test failed on the drive.

Suggestion : Back up your important data.

Suggestion : Please contact HP Support.

Not sure if it is the hard drive or cd rom, it has a picture that has a cd inside of the cd tray that pops out of your computer. Could that be what is failing and crashing the computer?

Thanks for your time.

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2014 - 10:00 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:15 PM

Doing a Google search for WD10EADS-65L5B1 yields this link

http://www.allhdd.com/index.php?target=products&mode=search&subcats=Y&type=extended&avail=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&cid=0&q=WD10EADS&src=ggl&gclid=COyqp_iCj78CFQxp7AodZFEAPA which shows this to be a Western Digital hard drive.  The SMART data is maintained by the drive's controller to predict when it will fail.  The fact that the drive's SMART data is failing, means you're going to need a new hard drive very soon.  It also means you need to back up any data you don't want to lose ASAP.  If this was mine, I'd buy a new hard drive and an enclosure for it, clone my existing hard drive to the new one, then replace the old drive with the new one.

Good luck.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

Googling "WDC WD10EADS-65L5B1 (WD-WCAU4D124296)" shows you pictures of a 1TB Western Digital Hard Drive, is there one of these on your system? 

Would you mind posting a specy snapshot?

Also having the minidumps of the blue screens would certainly help, i'm sure a fellow forum member would guide you trough giving us those files.

EDIT: Damn it  wpgwpg you beat me to it!

Edited by Datcoolguy, 22 June 2014 - 10:17 PM.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:27 PM

Sorry 'bout that, Datcoolguy.  :busy:  It just proves great minds run in the same path. :thumbsup:

I also did a search for the 0x000007A code on the MS web site; it says this is caused by a read error on the paging file - a very serious condition. :wacko: 

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 trez0r

trez0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:18 PM

Thanks for the replys guys much appreciated. Sorry for the noob questions what is the best way to backup my hard drive? I can't imagine there is a disc or usb stick that will hold all of it.. Also is it pretty easy to install a hard drive for someone that doesn't know too much on the inside of a computer?

Edited by trez0r, 23 June 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#6 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:38 PM

You can buy a 1 TB external hard drive for around $60.  I use Easeus Todo Backup Free which as the name implies, is totally FREE for home use.  It will back up your whole system to the external drive using compression so the backup only takes about 2/3 of the used space on your C: drive.

Now re replacing a hard drive.  It's pretty simple really.  You remove the cover, unplug two cables, remove 4 screws, replace the old drive with the new one, and reverse the process.  Then you boot from the disc from your backup program and restore the backup to the new drive.  The first time I did it, I had fear and trepidation, but it worked just fine, and I've done it hundreds of times since.  

Good luck.

#7 trez0r

trez0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:01 PM

Let me see if I understand you correctly, I buy the external hard drive plug it into the computer im assuming it has a usb connected to it, than download Easeus Todo Backup and take all the files from my old hard drive to the new one, than open up the inside of my computer and remove the old hard drive and install the new one? Would I even need to install the external hard drive? Would I be able to just leave it out but make sure to remove the old hard drive and use it from there?

#8 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:30 PM

Whenever you make significant changes to a computer, you should apply the ounce of prevention and back your system up first.  If you're going to replace your computer's hard drive, you should make a complete system backup or clone to an external device.  At this point there're two options.  The best way (which I recommend) would be to buy the external drive, back your system up to it with something like the Easeus program, and make a bootable CD with the Easeus backup program.  Then buy an internal drive, replace the old drive, boot from the Easeus CD, and restore your system to the new drive.  The cheapest way (which I don't recommend) would be to buy the replacement hard drive and an enclosure.  Clone your hard drive, then remove the old drive, take the new drive from the enclosure, and install it in your computer.  I recommend the first of these two because you'd be left with a good backup drive and image of your system.  Sooner or later you'll find that ounce of prevention very handy!  :thumbsup:

Good luck.

#9 trez0r

trez0r
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for the help wpgwpg, your awesome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users