Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 things plugged into 1 monitor, easiest way to switch between them?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darienstefan

darienstefan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

So i have a monitor with 2 things plugged into it. One to display my desktop, which is a DVI. And another to display my Wii U, which is an hdmi cable. I was just wondering if there is a way to change what the monitor displays without unplugging one of the cables, so i could go back and forth from my Wii U and computer a lot easier.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

What you're looking for is known as a KVM switch.

Sample of whats available here: http://www.newegg.com/KVM-Switches/SubCategory/ID-143

Never worked with a Wii U before. You'll have to check that one for sure.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:32 PM

I think it could be even simpler, maybe?  Particularly if no keyboard switching involved, which it won't be on a Wii.  Does the monitor have both an HDMI input and a DVI input?  In which case, check your monitor manual because there will certainly be a way of switching between the different inputs.  I have a monitor set up with an older computer on VGA and my main one on DVI and it's a simple matter of pressing the "input select" button on the monitor to switch between them.

If you post the exact monitor model, perhaps someone will look up for you how to do it :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

As jonuk76 said knowing the monitor make and model would be more helpful.  Odds are this can be done by a source selection button on the monitor or remote.  If there is an auto source, that would probably be the best option as it should switch to the source with an active signal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users