Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help with LAN port on HP EliteBook 820

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vizz

vizz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:18 PM

I work as an Internet Technician at McCormick Place, a convention center in Chicago. What I do is test new Ethernet cables put in for clients and fix issues that clients might have. Well, recently we got four new HP EliteBook 820's for testing. The specs are fine, i3 processors, 4 Gigs of RAM and the NIC is an Intel. 

Checked the NIC's drivers to make sure they are up to date and they are. Currently has Windows 7 but we can upgrade them all to Windows 8, which we might do. But currently on Windows 7 the LAN port is acting really odd. Turned off all the power saving features but still have an issue when I plug a new Ethernet cable in. The lights show it is active and linked but oddly the network connections for Local Area Connection shows no connection. Even when I do an ipconfig in the command prompt it shows Media Disconnected. If I disable and then re-enable the Connection, it identifies and connects to the connection. 

This takes away some time from every line I test so I can not get as much done as I would like. Any suggestions that could help this? Also, Windows 7 is fully updated. Would Windows 8 possibly fix the problem? Thanks for any ideas you might have on this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,372 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:28 PM

Had similar issues with LAN adapters during an XP to Win7 migration, not a lot, but enough.  Have you deleted the network adapter in Device Manager and rebooted?

#3 vizz

vizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:30 PM

Not yet but it seems to be happening on all four. I will try that now to see if it helps.

#4 vizz

vizz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Seems the problem is still there... I just don't get it I have never seen a NIC behave this way.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

Hello,

According to the specs of the 820 it uses the Intel I218-LM  (10/100/1000 NIC).

Have you installed this driver dated 04/10/2014 V19.1?

You may be interested in this utility.

Administrative Tools for Intel® Network Adapters

And possibly this.

I have found that the intel drivers actually work better than the ones supplied by the OEM but your case may be different.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,372 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:31 PM

Another possibility might be manually setting the connection speed.  I've seen issues where the auto setting did not work properly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users