Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

US Department of Justice Ransomware

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mountain Biker

Mountain Biker

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Hi, I'm new to this forum and would greatly appreciate your feedback. I have an old Dell Latitude D610 laptop that runs Windows XP. It's infected with the US Department of Justice ransomware. I saw a topic from last summer on how to remove the virus using the HitmanPro.Kickstart program. I was following the download instructions for Hitman but ran into a problem. My Dell is a 32 bit system but the clean computer I was using to download the program is a 64 bit. I kept getting error messages and I could not download the program. Can you provide some assistance? I have some computer skills but not with virus removal. There may be a better way to remove the program now versus what was in the topic from last summer. Thank you again for your help.
Mountain Biker

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:27 PM

Download the 64bit version. Create the USB key. It should run on the 32bit computer. But, you will need an active internet connection to run Hitman Pro.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:29 PM

I guess you know XP is unsupported since April 8.  You're just going to see more and more problems with it until you either upgrade to a later version of Windows or go to Linux.  The Ubuntu and Mint versions have Windows like user interfaces and are extremely easy to download, burn to a DVD, and try out without having to install anything.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Mountain Biker

Mountain Biker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the help. The laptop is not my primary computer any more but I would like to salvage it for occasional use as needed. Will the laptop need internet access to run Hitman? My primary computer does have internet access but the ransomware on the laptop is preventing internet access.

Mountain Biker

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:04 PM

If you do not have internet access on the laptop you can download Kaspersky Rescue Disk and use the WindowsUnlocker option as shown in the steps of the link. If it unlocks the computer, you can then scan with the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. You don't have to boot to USB. You can burn the Kapserky iso to CD and boot to that if you wish. It may get your internet access back but can't be sure. Once that is done do another scan with Hitman Pro. Please post back if Kaspersky was able to get your internet access back after using WindowsUnlocker and scanning.

Edit: If you connect your laptop via Ethernet Kaspersky should be able to update the definitions because it is linux based.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 June 2014 - 05:20 PM.

#6 Mountain Biker

Mountain Biker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:48 PM

Thanks for the advice JohnC_21. I'll try it and let you know what happens.

Mountain Biker

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:07 PM

BC Removal methods and you can use a USB Device to help you.

If this will not work, please repost in Virus, Malware Removal area (follow the guide)

#8 Mountain Biker

Mountain Biker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

I was able to access the internet from my laptop that was infected with the ransomware. I'm not sure why it allowed access as I'm sure it's still on the computer. I ran Hitman Pro directly from the internet and it did detect malware. It now wants me to buy Hitman to actually rid the computer of malware. I can do that if necessary but I was under the impression the program was a free trial as the instructions I saw here didn't mention a purchase. I wanted to verify the purchase was needed prior to doing that. Thanks.

Mountain Biker

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:20 AM

If Hitman Pro was never on the computer before it should have done the cleaning no charge. See this post. Contact Hitman support and ask why there would be a charge. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/537826/32bit-xp-infected-with-ice-ransomware-only-have-64-w7-laptop-to-make-boot-usb/#entry3396002

#10 Mountain Biker

Mountain Biker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

Thanks John. I've contacted Hitman, we'll see if they can help. If not, I may try the other program that was mentioned in your link (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware).

Mountain Biker

#11 Mountain Biker

Mountain Biker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

Hitman Pro did not work because my computer at one point was a work computer. The Hitman rep told me work/business computers were not allowed the free trial. However, I did use the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware program and it seemed to find all the malware and eliminated the threats! The computer seems to be working fine now. I appreciate all the help from the people that responded to my post. Thanks very much!

Mountain Biker

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:39 AM

Glad you got it fixed. But, just one quesiton. You mentioned Malwarebytes but I did not link to Malwarebytes for Ransomware. I linked to the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Is that what you used?

#13 Mountain Biker

Mountain Biker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

John: Since I was able to use the computer and access the internet, I didn't use the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. The link you provided was for Kaspersky, but in that discussion the Malwarebytes program was mentioned, so I thought I'd try that. It seems to have worked, it eliminated 4 malware viruses and I haven't noticed any more issues. I appreciate your help.

Mountain Biker

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,265 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

Thanks for taking the time to post back with the clarification.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users