Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intruder detected

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ammiit

Ammiit

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:15 PM

Hello,

My dad recently downloaded McAfee (paid version) as internet protection. However since doing so it has been alerting that there is a unknown device accessing the network. McAfee allows you to look at all computers and devices in the network so I have recorded all the known devices IP addresses and labeled them on the McAfee network defense however there are two IP addresses that are not accounted for. I marked them as intruder so now it sends alerts whenever the unknown IP address uses the network. It does not allow me to block them from using the network though but only block them from gaining access to this PC. It says the intruders using the network right now but as i've noticed McAfee is not very accurate as it also says other devices such as PS3 are using the network but are not even turned on.

I have reset the password for the router but the intruder device immediately gained access again, i've also tried to set the router so that it will only allow for the IP for the PC to accesses it but that hasn't worked either, though that could be because I did not do it correctly. I do not know what the intruder device is or how to stop it using the network, could anyone share any insight into the situation?

Thanks 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vizz

vizz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:52 PM

First, change your router SSID password and administrator password for the router. Make sure it is WPA2 and AES is a little more secure than TKIP. Also play around with some firewalls(not Windows firewall, there are much better free ones out there), some will detect a new IP and ask if you want it to be able to access the network. 

What I do that keeps people off my network is I called my SSID "FBI Surveillance". That way people think twice before they try to get past it. 

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:29 PM

Any chance it could be phones, tablets, Kindles, printers?

#4 Ammiit

Ammiit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hey, I did what you said i had already changed the SSID password but the intruder immediately gained access again. But I changed the router admin password like you suggested and so far they(?) haven't been using the network... hopefully this will end the issue. Thanks!

Hey Kilroy, I have already labeled all the MAC addresses of all devices I have, so it is not a tablet or anything that is mine.

I have also managed to allow only IP addresses I add to the router to connect to the network. Is there anyway of removing the network from the wireless network connection list, so it does not show up to other devices aside from the ones I allow it to? 

#5 vizz

vizz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:05 AM

You can do a hidden SSID. Therefore it will not show up at all but to connect the first time you have to enter the SSID name and password. After it will be saved so it will connect automatically.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:40 AM

vizz, not broadcasting is just a false sense of security, no real security is provided by not broadcasting.  I have found not broadcasting your SSID actually causes you more difficulties connecting your devices.

#7 vizz

vizz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:10 AM

Killroy, yes but he asked for it not to be shown in the wireless connections list. That is the way to do it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users