Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Internet Connection for Desktop Drops every 20 minutes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 afl0ck0fg0ats

afl0ck0fg0ats

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:06 PM

I have a desktop running Windows 7 on an ASUS motherboard and I have to use a USB wireless adapter for internet; the adapter is a Cisco Linksys model AE2500. I can connect to a network fine but approximately every 20 minutes I lose internet access without being dropped from the network completely. To fix it I have to right click the network icon in the taskbar and choose 'Troubleshoot problems.' This fixes it pretty much every time saying that what was fixed was the 'The default gateway was not available'. I play online games so having a connection that keeps dropping out is going to be really inconvenient.

This has happened with this computer in 2 different houses; with 2 different modem routers; and using 2 different wireless adapters so I'm thinking this has to be something with the actual computer. In my first house I was able to use a wired connection to overrun this problem and it worked fine, but that is not an option at my new location. I saw forum posts about changing the power settings to prevent USB connections from being dropped to save power and I disabled these options but I am still experimenting this problem. The modem/router I am currently using is a Cisco Linksys E1500.

If anyone has additional recommendations for things to change that would be great; if there is additional information needed about my computer/adapter/modem let me know.

Thanks

Edit:  I should also mention that others in the house can hold a stable internet connection just fine with laptops

Edited by afl0ck0fg0ats, 22 June 2014 - 02:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:28 PM

Have you tried using a Ethernet cable to determine if this is the router or wifi connection?

Have you tried reinstalling the wifi adapter drivers?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 afl0ck0fg0ats

afl0ck0fg0ats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

In my last house I used an ethernet cable for internet and it was fine, but currently the modem is too far away for any cable I have to reach. And yes, I have tried uninstalling the drivers and re-installing with no success

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

From your description of "This has happened with this computer in 2 different houses; with 2 different modem routers; and using 2 different wireless adapters" it would seem to me you are correct in saying it was a PC problem. Have you tried moving the adapter to a different USB port? It's possibly a problem with the USB ports not being able to provide enough power to the adapter.

I guess two options would be to install a USB adapter card or try attaching the USB network adapter to a powered hub. Personally, for a desktop, I would purchase a PCI-e wireless adapter if you have an available port or a PCI adapter if you do not.

#5 afl0ck0fg0ats

afl0ck0fg0ats
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:42 PM

I do recall trying to move the adapter around to different ports with no success; I have 2 USB ports on the front that I have had problems with for other devices and 4 in the back. I have had it both front and back and still been dropped. I do have a powered USB hub in the mail currently and if that doesn't work I'll look into a PCI adapter.  The power limitation may be the source problem because I have noticed it does drop out more quickly when I'm running applications that require higher bandwidth (games, Netflix) as opposed to google or something.

Unless there are other software options to tinker with I will most likely just have to wait now to get these new parts.

#6 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:57 PM

While i have never had any experience with a good company such as cisco, i had found Trendnet's wireless USB adapters to be rubbish to say the least, had tons of problems with drivers not working, connection dropping, and lots more. 

While i have never tried your current wireless adapter, i'd still recommend installing a PCI-E wireless card with a proper antenna, those are usually the best when it comes down to wifi i have found.

Nothing beats ethernet though. 

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2014 - 10:04 AM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users