Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Drivers via DISM

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rootcat

Rootcat

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:14 PM

I'm using DISM to install the necessary drivers to run Windows 7 on a Mac laptop using Boot Camp (drivers include trackpad, USB3.0, keyboard, display, and so forth). I know I have the correct drivers because I downloaded them via the built-in Boot Camp Assistant program on my mac, and I possess an elementary knowledge of DISM that should be enough to get the job done--but my one hangup is that I don't know the name or location of the .wim file I need to mount and modify in DISM.

Is it the boot.wim? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:44 PM

I had no idea what you were referring to...but Google has been useful again :).

Worth a look, IMO:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825236.aspx .

Louis

#3 Rootcat

Rootcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:37 PM

Hello hamluis. Thank you for your post!

Yes, I've already read through that article and many others like it. They provide a general understanding of DISM--unfortunately, it seems, a little too general, as from reading them over the last couple weeks or so that I've been trying to get this to work, I seem to have developed a few misconceptions about how to use DISM.

A real-life friend of mine just told me the issue. There is no boot.wim file already in a completed installation like there is on an install disk. You have to image the Windows partition into a .wim file yourself and modify that.

Anyway, my situation's no better than it used to be, but at least I can say this particular inquiry is resolved. :)

Thanks again for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:52 AM

We try to help...every now and then, we actually do :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users