Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Unknown Device"

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:06 PM

I am using "P. Magic" and "Dban" to completely wipe my machine. I have done all that I know to do to unplug/umount what I believe to be some kind of virtual usb device. I am using P Magic as the only OS at the moment. Excuse me if my terminology is wrong. I am one of those people who knows just enough to be dangerous. LOL   Any advice would be great. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

DBAN should completely wipe your hard drive, all partitions and everything.  I don't know why you're using P Magic, I assume that's Partition Magic?  If so, it is incompatible with Windows 7 and later - this is the pained voice of experience!  Was there some other question you had about this?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#3 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:25 PM

I tried Dban first. Using Autonuke it shows "Unknow Device" and the HDD. It will not touch the "Unkown Dvice"

I used P Magic to check for HPA's with the hparm command. The only OS I am using is a Linux distro.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

Are you saying Dban will not wipe the drive because of the unknown device? Parted Magic has a hard drive eraser. It uses the drives internal erase command.

Check this thread from the Dban forum

http://sourceforge.net/p/dban/discussion/208932/thread/2200b572/

#5 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:56 PM

Thanks JohnC. This sounds like my issue exactly. I will try this. I will be able to unplug my desktop with no problems. I may try to figure out which ubs port is my keyboard on my desktop before I open the back up. I am doing 2 machines. I will try desktop first.

#6 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

That did not work.

To be clear it actually says " Unrecognizable Device".  I also noticed in the boot log it said there is a "SCSI device" or something close to that,....on the SDA. This may not be verbatim but it is close.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:43 PM

Not sure what that would be. So according to the thread I linked to, you removed the card reader if one was installed? I would use the Parted Magic Secure Erase program. Have you tried using that.

#8 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:02 PM

I am pretty sure i did last night. I am starting to get the 2 machines mixed up on what I have done so far. I do not remember this one (Dell Laptop) being frozen. I had to put it sleep to "possibly" get it out of frozen state. I am going to start "ATA secure erase" right now and estimated time is 2 1/2 hrs. I am unable to access wireless with my desktop so I will let you know what happens later. Thanks so much for your time and help.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 04:14 PM

Are you trying to zero out the drivers before you sell them or are you trying to reinstall the OS to the computers? Once you zero out the drives, I would recommend using Gparted on Parted Magic to partition and format the drives.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 June 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#10 bwrighttwo

bwrighttwo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 717 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

I am trying to re-install the OS. If you check out my previous content here (B.C.) you will see I have had issues for almost 3 years. When I began I barely knew how to copy and paste. I now know more than I ever wanted.  If I had a $1 for every time someone has said "I see nothing wrong, or Looks clean to me", I could have paid a M.I.T professer to fix them. It has become an obsession now. I figure if I have spent this much time I may as well keep trying until I figure it out or someone puts me in a padded room. LOL!!!  I also have a topic on the linux board. "Udevil"

Edited by bwrighttwo, 22 June 2014 - 06:31 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users