Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Capability is Turned Off

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gulfstreamV

gulfstreamV

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:11 AM

Attached File  wireless 001.JPG   120.1KB   0 downloadsAttached File  wireless 002.JPG   177.19KB   0 downloadsAttached File  wireless 010.JPG   87.25KB   0 downloads

I have a Dell XPS M1530 with a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit. I lost my wireless capability all of a sudden with the previous install of Home Premium. Yes, the wireless switch is turned on. The machine has Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN Network Adapter and Marvell Yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller. I have it hard-wired to my router with an Ethernet Cable. It's working fine.

Are there any suggestions as to how I can get my wireless capability back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

Is there a yellow exclamation mark next to your wireless adapter in Device Manager?

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 June 2014 - 11:16 AM.

#3 gulfstreamV

gulfstreamV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:16 AM

No there isn't

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:18 AM

Did you get all the drivers for that computer from Dell & install them?  Especially the chipset and network adapters.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 gulfstreamV

gulfstreamV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

So true. I'm not thinking ahead. I will do that.

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:29 AM

The wireless adaptor is fine being as there is no yellow mark in the DV!  No need for additional drivers. You need to be able to access you router to get things setup, go through the drill of setting up the router all will be fine.

Edited by OldPhil, 22 June 2014 - 11:33 AM.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#7 gulfstreamV

gulfstreamV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:35 AM

It's not finding any network connections.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:04 PM

I would first see if SSID broadcast is enabled in the router. If you cannot detect a WIFI hotspot then I would think it may be a hardware problem. If you can easily access the wireless card remove the battery and detach any power adapter. Reseat the wireless card and see if that solves the problem.

If not unintall the wireless software and install the latest here. Sometimes the Intel Pro Wireless drivers can get kind of wonky

The first two drivers are driver only 32bit and 64bit. The last two also include the Intel Wireless Software. You may want to install that version depending on if you have 32bit or 64bit.

If that does not work, you may want to look at getting a USB wireless adapter.

#9 gulfstreamV

gulfstreamV
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:13 PM

I'm thinking you are right. I've worked with a few of these XPS M1530s and I've not come across this issue before. Thanks to everyone for your help!

#10 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:22 PM

Hi,

I second JohnC_21's suggestion to download and install the latest driver from Intel website.

Try this in event that fails:

Uninstall the current wireless driver.

Download the Intel PROset driver suitable for your system and install it. (If your card doesn't support it, just ignore further)

Open up the Intel ® PROSet/Wireless tools

Click the button : 'Diagnose'

Now run tests and see what error comes up.

If the Hardware Test is Flagged failed, I doubt a hardware failure.

NOTE:After any installation / uninstallation please follow a cold boot.

Do you have a hardware switch on laptop side panel?

Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users