Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Updates Fail

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BuzzardBeak

BuzzardBeak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 05:14 AM

We are a small tech firm with some really sharp folks..........We have tried everything in the known Universe to make these 6 new refurb IBM ThinkCenter M series boxes to accept all the usual hundreds of updates after a W7 Sp1 build and all the basic setup stuff.  No weird software just that ole pesky Microsoft updates fail.  You might get a few here or there but even try to stop a few and just load some but no go.

Its the usual round of stuff that comes in after W7 SP 1.  You get about 100 or so they install.  Reboot and wait a while then around another hundred......then the usual rebboot.  Then during the next few days as you build out a system you get a few more here and there.  But we do this all the time and usually get buy with Tweaking.com or the MS Fix it.  I have renamed the Downloads, the Datastore.edb, delete temps and on and on.

There has to be some reg key or the ultimate update repair tool out there somewhere or the MS refurb on all six boxes loaded some service or dll that is corrupt.

HELP!!!  Our client thinks we are nuts, I think the outfit he got the boxes from loaded with some ISO that maybe should have been an original ThinkCentre M series install disc.  When you talk IBM think inside the box.

"The Good Guys...Cyber Crooks Beware"

Please advise clients to always report any of those bogus "Microsoft support phone calls" to the www.IC3.gov and urge them to complain if they have a phone number.  The form is not bad, don't worry about the monetary questions just the more certain phone numbers get reported they will finally trace the multiple ways they bounce the call and nail these bogus groups.  They target elderly/wealthy zip codes and not all of them are from overseas.  they are opening sweat shops all over the US.  Help us stop them!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 June 2014 - 10:55 AM.
removed emal address, which was also business domain email

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Make sure that every PC has had the product code activated. You'll get very few updates if MS Update thinks your OS is pirated.

#3 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:54 PM

Have you by chance run a registry cleaner or changed anything in the registry?

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#4 Datcoolguy

Datcoolguy

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:22 PM

Make sure that every PC has had the product code activated. You'll get very few updates if MS Update thinks your OS is pirated.

Actually, you'll still be able to get the updates, but it'll trigger the illegitimate software alert thanks to a certain bunch of updates.

Also would you mind not formatting your posts unnecessarily? It just makes people think less of you when you try to get attention to your post like that.

"If you don't understand how your computer works, you shouldn't be messing with it!"

#5 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:06 AM

I'm terribly concerned that you think less of me. But I don't particularly like Arial font, and I like the font size slightly larger. "You pays your money, and you takes your pick".  I think the Moderators (Global rank, I imagine) have the power to lock the font and font size if they wish. I predict that if they lock the font size option, the older members (and visually impaired) will not be too pleased. Until that happens, I will continue to use options available to me.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:16 AM

:thumbup2: , well said...that member is not qualified to speak on behalf of anything other than himself, his thoughts, etc.  Certainly...he is not a forum spokesperson so there's no need to assume that such is true..

I also am visually impaired (I believe over half of the world population is) and I find that using the Browser options for viewing content...make life simple and easy, rather than fooling around with font size.

We return now to our regularly scheduled program...the topic posted by the OP.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 June 2014 - 10:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users