Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for a Blue-ray Player for Win 8.1

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 _dsb

_dsb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:55 PM

Greetings,

I just joined BleepingComputer.com and hope to take advantage of a lot of great information and get solutions to my computer problems as they come up.  Today I'm looking for a low/no cost media player that will handle Blue-ray.  I recently purchased an ASUS G750JS with a BR read/write drive.  I'm discovering though, that the bundled player, PowerDVD 10, is limited in that the manufacturer is no longer supporting it.  No updates are available anymore and I found it won't play all BR discs.  I would have to drop another $80 bucks for the latest version that plays BR.  Microsoft generously no longer includes WMP in the standard version of the Win 8.1 OS, and I'm not sure if it would handle BR even if I had it.  I have the VLC player, but in its standard version doesn't play BR either.  I understand there is an add-on that would add that capability, but also heard that it is tricky to install and configure and my not produce the highest quality rendering.   Soooo, is there a high quality player out there for download that handles all media types, including BR, without any rigamarole?

Cheers!

dsb

Win 8.1

Intel I7 4700HQ @ 2.40GHz

237GB SSD, 1TB 7200 RPM Storage Drive

16GB Ram

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 badr0b0t

badr0b0t

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:24 AM

Download the free VLC player or Media Player Classic. I have both but I personally like the Media Player Classic.

sig07.gif?psid=1

(Click sig to enlarge.)                                                    

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users