Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought a used computer: Every time I restart it reverts everything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AvidLebon

AvidLebon

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

**Solved, scroll to bottom edit for anyone else having this same problem.*

I bought a Surface Pro to use as a portable sketchpad, mainly to storyboard in Flash and Draw in Photoshop. I bought an older used one because it isn't anything fancy, just something to let me work during my 4 hour (round trip) commute.

However, I got it today and the previous user's name was there (not much else looks different from the factory settings). I installed chrome, installed a few base programs and changed the user name to my handle. I restarted the computer and when it booted the user name changed back to his name and all the programs I downloaded and installed were now gone- it looked exactly as it did the first time I turned it on. Trying mutliple other methods does not work- it reminds me a lot of the program "Deep Freeze" which will revert a public computer back to a prior save point. (I didn't see any program installed other than what I think normally comes on Windows machines, maybe it's something hidden, I don't know.)

I've tried a few different things listed in other trouble shooting threads but some of them won't work because I need "Admin rights" even though I'm on the only account on the computer and it is listed as administrator, and I am able to run programs using "run as administrator".

I even tried "Remove everything and reinstall Windows". After it says "Please Wait... Preparing" It says "There was a problem resetting your PC No changes were made. Check for solutions to this problem " Clicking check solutions does nothing. I tried creating a boot disk to reinstall Winows 8.1 but it had similar problems, seems like a vital file was missing. 

It didn't come with a reinstallation disk, and I can't make one because something in this computer is damaged. I have my main computer, that is running a different version. I'm not seeing a whole lot on the forums that can help either. Any suggestions where to go from here?

Surface Pro (1)

Came installed with Windows 8.1
(Not familiar with this new OS to get other relevant info)

Edit: After digging I found some files named "DeepFrz.sys" and "DeepFreezeWorkstation.mof" I'm 99% sure Deep Freeze is causing this problem, but there are no visible icons to remove it as the guides I've found suggest.

Edit 2: If you find yourself in the same problem as me, use the guide at 
http://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-Deep-Freeze#Uninstalling_Without_the_Password_sub to remove eep Freeze. If you are also using surface pro, get to the Bios by turning off the pc, hold the volume key up, turn it on, then release the volume key when the logo appears. Disable all security listed on the Bios screen. Then continue following the linked guide.

Edited by AvidLebon, 22 June 2014 - 05:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:24 PM

AvidLebon, here's a tutorial, maybe you've tried it, just thought to post it.

Note that an external keyboard is needed. If all else fails, you can create another MS account using your credentials. There may be a way to delete the prior account, however you'd need to ensure you could do so w/out making the computer unbootable.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/reinstall-windows-81-surface-pro-79022.html

Good Luck with the reinstall. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 AvidLebon

AvidLebon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:30 AM

AvidLebon, here's a tutorial, maybe you've tried it, just thought to post it.

Note that an external keyboard is needed. If all else fails, you can create another MS account using your credentials. There may be a way to delete the prior account, however you'd need to ensure you could do so w/out making the computer unbootable.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/reinstall-windows-81-surface-pro-79022.html

Good Luck with the reinstall. :)

Cat

Yes, that tutorial describes the steps I tried before, however when I reach step 4 and click "Remove everything and reinstall Windows" it says "Please Wait... Preparing". Then it says "There was a problem resetting your PC No changes were made. Check for solutions to this problem " Clicking check solutions does nothing. I tried creating a boot disk to reinstall Winows 8.1 but it had similar problems, seems like a vital file was missing. 

I made a new user account with admin rights, then deleted Matt (the account that came pre-installed). On restart it reverts Matt back to being the only user, as though I did none of this, exactly the same as when I turned it on for the first time. Almost like every time it boots it's going from a  saved (restore?) point rather than saving everything from before the restart. 
Thanks for wagering a guess anyway though, it was worth a shot.

Edit: After digging I found some files named "DeepFrz.sys" and "DeepFreezeWorkstation.mof" I'm 99% sure Deep Freeze is causing this problem, but there are no visible icons to remove it as the guides I've found suggest. 

Edit 2: Solved! I'll post the solution for anyone else having the same problem in my main post as I had a helluva time figuring out what was going on.

Edited by AvidLebon, 22 June 2014 - 05:17 AM.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,887 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 11:31 AM

Wow.....a lot needed to uninstall the Deep Freeze software.

After some research, can see where the software is useful to have, to stop malware in it's tracks after reboot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_Freeze_%28software%29

However if one didn't know the software was on the computer when acquired, what it does & the purpose of being installed, I can see why one would feel that something is wrong.

Glad to see you found the solution & look forward to your posting of the solution for others.

Hopefully you can now enjoy your Surface Pro for your needs. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users