Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC freezing, hard drive is suspected culprit

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Disleksik

Disleksik

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:12 PM

I built my first PC back in February-March, it will be used for gaming purposes, but I just can't get it to work without freezing. I'll boot it up, and it freezes shortly after. It doesn't happen in Safe Mode, and I suspect it may be my HDD. It even happened when I decided to reinstall windows, it happened during the installation. I know it isn't my RAM, or motherboard, as I replaced both of those. I was told it could be a hard drive issue, and I just came here to get a third opinion on it before I decide to replace it.
My specs:
CPU: AMD FX-6300
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Mobo: ASRock 970 extreme3 r2.0
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 760 Direct CU II OC
PSU: Seasonic 550w
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb (2x4gb)
Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

Any insight would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 turbogt350

turbogt350

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:17 PM

Hello I am new here but, I have a hard drive issue also although it is different; have you run the Western Digital Diagnostics on your drive? Mine came with a floppy diskette, but I bought it as a back-up years ago. Just a thought, when it freezes is it after an input action from you, or is it just sitting there after the boot-up? Also what programs are running? This information will probably help the Guru's on this forum to help you diagnose your problem. Sorry I can not be more helpful, congratulations on building your PC I am still starring at mine saying one day... Good Luck

#3 Disleksik

Disleksik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:37 PM

It can happen if it's idle, or if I'm using it. Also, I'm not running any programs, I formatted the HDD and reinstalled windows.

#4 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 11:45 PM

Disleksik, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Could you please download & run Speccy & post a snapshot, so that maybe we can see what's going on? To post a snapshot, click File at the left top of the Speccy interface, then Publish Snapshot. A link with be provided to place on the Forum (copy/paste). No personal identifying info, such as your IP address or serial numbers/license keys, be revealed.

https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Hopefully we can get to the bottom of your issue.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:01 AM

turbogt350, Welcome to BC Forums! :)

Had to acknowledge the OP first.

I have a hard drive issue also although it is different;

It would be best to create your own topic, being that your issue, as you've stated, is different.

That way, your issue will get the exposure it deserves. The OP's topic is that of a newly built computer.

However, we're happy to have you here & also look forward to you participating. Here is the BleepingComputer.com Welcome Guide, that covers posting new topics & other important information for new members.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/welcome-guide/

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Disleksik

Disleksik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:25 AM

I'll try to use speccy and post the results as soon as I can, though I don't think my PC will stay responsive for long enough.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

Do you by chance have any Linux install media? If you boot from this, the internal drive will be bypassed & that can help to determine if that is the issue. If you computer runs fine using this method, that can narrow things down fast.

Another thing to check is your drive cables, both power & data. If you have spares, swap these out & see, nothing to lose except a few minutes. Even when new, sometimes cables are defective, seems that most everything is thrown together so fast these days. There was one occaision when I received a defective cable with a brand new Intel SSD & also an Ethernet Cat6 cable.

Fortunately, I keep spares of most all needed cables on hand, grab these when on promo at Newegg.

Cat

#8 Disleksik

Disleksik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:43 AM

I don't have any, but could I make a USB drive into one? If not, then pardon my ignorance, I'm only 14.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:44 AM

Windows 7 wonder if the OP's PC has secure boot.

but could I make a USB drive into one?

Yes you can use unetbooting for that or burn it as an iso to CD or DVD and boot your pc into linux like that.

You could try

Fatdog64 Linux

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

On a Win 7 PC download the ISO when it's done just double click the iso and Win7 will burn it for you to a blank DVD/CD

PS.

Oh great days an old person giving a youngin advice and they are listening.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 01:11 AM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:08 AM

Last time I looked, Windows 7 didn't include Secure Boot support, if it did, would have installed it as such on this Dell & left the OEM HDD in place. Had to disable it to install 7 Pro.

Yes, FatDog64 Linux is great for testing 64 bit hardware. Plus a small OS. Though some Puppy OS's takes forever to download.

Flash drive is perfect, the provided tool that NickAu1 linked above is fine.

Cat

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:11 AM

PPS.

We may even convert you to Linux once you see how fast that PC can be. And with that sort of PC you could easily run Windows in VM to play games and such I think. If you want to know more please come to the Linux & Unix section.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 01:13 AM.

#12 Disleksik

Disleksik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:12 AM

Okay, thank you both for your help thus far, I'll try Linux and let you know how that works out.

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

When trying Puppy Linux of any kind for this type of pc diagnosis once you are finished Do not create a save file when you shut Puppy down.

Be extra carefull When Deleting any files or folders on the Windows drive because it could make your pc unbootable or you may delete something important.

EDIT.
This would also apply if people were to use Linux Av to remove a Windows malware using Clam Av from a Puppy Live Disk or Bootable USB.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#14 Disleksik

Disleksik
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:27 AM

Alright, I'll be sure to avoid that.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:29 AM

When trying Puppy Linux of any kind for this type of pc diagnosis once you are finished Do not create a save file when you shut Puppy down. Be extra carefull When Deleting any files or folders on the Windows drive because it could make your pc unbootable or you may delete something important.

+1!

My main intent in regards to Linux media, wasn't so much in running any particular tests, but rather to run it as Live bootable media to see how the computer runs. For example, the browser on Linux works the same way as on Windows. You can log into this forum & tell us, just how good & responsive the computer is (or if still running bad, report that too).

Note that the browser, since this is a portable install for testing only, will appear to be different from that on the installed OS. Some plug-ins are missing, so content may appear different.

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users