Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sandisk SSD X110 256GB not recognized in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 cbblake1

cbblake1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

I made a terrible mistake: My copy of Windows 7 got corrupted, and I choose to re-install. It had 2 partitions, so I choose to delete both partitions and start fresh, intending to go with only one partion this time. When I rebooted, the drive was no longer recognized in the bios (AMI bios). Is the drive toast?

I also posted this question on the SanDisk forum, but have yet to get a reply. This forum has a good track record with my software issues so I have high expectations for hardware issues as well  :bowdown: 

Thanks in advance!

CB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

I choose to delete both partitions and start fresh

Did you reformat the drive after you deleted the partitions?  You may need to make a new partition and format it as NTFS.

Edit.

To me deleting a partition = Using GParted or similar to actually physically delete the partition.

Is the drive toast?

No. I strongly doubt it is.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 12:32 AM.

#3 cbblake1

cbblake1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

The trouble is, I can't even access the drive to do anything to it. The BIOS doesn't even see it. I have no way (to my knowledge) to create a new partition for formatting. I just don't know what to do next. Is there a BIOS utility or something that will allow me to see the drive?

Thanks

CB

PS I used a Linux tool for deleting the partitions.

Edited by cbblake1, 21 June 2014 - 09:52 PM.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:02 PM

PS I used a Linux tool for deleting the partitions.

Ok.

Was it from a live disk? If so reboot you pc from the live disk and use the tool to create a new partition. Remember you also may need to fix the partition table stuff first.. That is the bit that is damaged.

1zf1vuo.png

If no for some reason.

Do not worry once you boot GParted it will detect the drive as unknown space or something. WARNING disconect any other Hard Drives that may be connected to your pc. Just in case.

GParted is a free partition editor for graphically managing your disk partitions.

With GParted you can resize, copy, and move partitions without data loss, enabling you to:

• Grow or shrink your C: drive
  • Create space for new operating systems
  • Attempt data rescue from lost partitions
  • Create new Partitions .

http://gparted.org/

Tutorial: GParted

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 12:39 AM.

#5 cbblake1

cbblake1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:19 PM

GParted does not see the drive after the reboot. I am thinking that since the computer's BIOS can't see it, no software can either. I am not sure what other options there are.

Thanks

CB

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:41 PM

Ok. Strange GParted cant see it. Maybe you also deleted some firmware or something on the SSD.

Normaly a corrupt drive or a drive with deleted partition table shows up like this. I corrupted that USB stick by unpluging it while it was being formated with gparted just for these screen shots.

Please note I had to select it from the dropdown list/box on the right first.

16m1stu.png

Once the Partition table is fixed it looks like this.

i2iyhz.png

Then you Add a partition and do that funky stuff like NTFS or ext4.

saxv1j.png

hsp56v.png

And the result.

34o6e1g.png

That was the quick easy way, You may have to remove the drive plug it into another pc then run the repair apps in a windows based PC. I do not know how to do that so I will leave it to Windows people to guide you thru that.

Sorry it didn't help you.

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#7 cbblake1

cbblake1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:10 AM

No worries. I do thank you for helping. I can get another drive, but would like to save this one if possible. I may not be able to. C'est la vie...

Best regards

CB

EDIT TO ADD: I just re-read your reply - that firmware thing you mentioned - that could possibly be the problem. Do you know of any way to recover from that?

Thanks

Edited by cbblake1, 22 June 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,736 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 10:19 AM

I second the idea that the firmware was deleted, Sandisk should be able to help give them a shot.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#9 cbblake1

cbblake1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

Hello Phil,

I am currently waiting for a reply from SanDisk. That forum does not seem to be nearly as helpful as this one...

Best regards

CB

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,604 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:59 PM

I went to Sandisk's website and your SSD is listed as an OEM model. I could not find any firmware updates for it either. In order to update the firmware it has to be detected by the BIOS. You didn't say if you have a laptop or desktop. You can double check the connections to the drive and if a desktop, try attaching to another SATA port. If a laptop, reseat the drive. Any battery, adapter, or power to the computer should be removed and ground yourself on the metal case before touching anything in the computer.

If the BIOS still cannot see the drive, you can attach it via a USB adapter then partition and format the drive. If the drive is not detected using the USB adapter, then it's possible the drive has failed.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:26 AM

so I choose to delete both partitions and start fresh,

Don't do this unless you NEED to. You don't even need to secure erase your SSD when you reinstall. The only reasons to secure erase is if there is a drastic speed decrease from either a hard workload or a TRIMless environment which you need fix quickly or if your SSD is acting up. Otherwise TRIM and garbage collection will take care of everything automatically.

It is not safe to use DBAN Nuke or similar on SSDs. First, it's not good for the drive, and second, it wouldn't work properly anyway.

Everybody with a SSD should read this

Edited by NickAu1, 23 June 2014 - 02:42 AM.

#12 cbblake1

cbblake1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 10:34 AM

JohnC,

It may be an OEM drive, but it did not come with my wife's desktop computer, it was part of an upgrade I did for her last year. I bought the drive from Best Buy. It installed fine then and ran perfect until this current problem. In troubleshooting this issue, my son installed it in his laptop, to no avail. His rig, running Linux, could not see it either. As the drive had all partitions deleted, and then the drive became unseeable, I have to think the drive is still good. I just need to find a way to access the drive and re-install the firmware. I think. The USB adapter may be the answer.

Thanks

Nick, I will read the document you linked to. Probably going to generate one of those "Dang, I should have read that before..." C'est la vie...

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:34 PM

Can you check SATA mode to AHCI,  it may be set to IDE

#14 cbblake1

cbblake1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Hi Nick,

Unfortunately, it is set correctly. My son loaned me a spare drive he had, all is good. I am still smarting from my ignorance in deleting all the partitions. I have the USB 2.0 to SATA cable coming, and I hope this will let me at least see the drive. All that would remain would be to get SanDisk to cough up the firmware. Of course this all depends on if the drive hasn't failed. I am hoping not.

Thanks again to everyone for the incredible help!

To be continued....

Best regards

CB

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,683 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:37 PM

I am just thinking out loud here.

When you deleted the 2 partitions you re booted the pc it seems. I wonder if had you deleted the partitions and made a new one, that during the process any partition table or firmware stuff would be updated/fixed. Once you hear back from the Sandisk website, Maybe you could ask that question and reply here so the rest of us know.

Thank you ahead of time.

Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users