Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8-core 16-thread CPU's & DDR4?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Taoki

Taoki

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:31 PM

Although I have a mobo and CPU I'm very happy with, my current computer is nearly 5 years old. I'll want to eventually upgrade, but when I do I wish to switch to two new technologies: 8-core / 16-thread CPU and DDR4 memory. Although I'd have typically expected both to have happened some 3 years ago, they're apparently late to show on the market.

Does anyone know when Intel is releasing the first CPU with 8 real cores and hyper-threading (16 threads)? When is DDR4 coming also? And any estimation as to how much they'll cost?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

There's more to just proposing a platform like the multicore and the higher memory speeds and larger bus sizes.  Besides the hardware, programmers have to think up new systems to control all that power.  That would be a nice desktop but would most likely be designed for server works.

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

You can get 8 core, 16 thread processors now e.g. Xeon E5-2650 V2 which uses the Ivy Bridge architecture.  You can get 12 core, 24 thread versions too.  They could be used as high end desktop processors.  Expect to pay through the nose for it if you want one though :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:39 PM

All that power, I have yet to see my laptop at 25% of what It can do, Then again I guess you would need all that power just to run the other OS and  other progs or if you play games.

I guess people need to ask, Do I need all that power? In my case the answer is no, I only got the laptop because it was so cheap, I edit the odd photo, I do not edit video or any of that nor do I convert stuff from 1 format to another, When I dl Game of Thrones it plays in what ever format its in.

Sometimes chasing the latest and gratest can be a pain, Bugs, No Drivers, Cost, However If you can afford it or you think you need it, Get the best and biggest one you can. Remember this, In today's world that $3000 cutting edge Alienware laptop, is next years $ 300 second hand special on Ebay.

I remember a time when a DVD/CD burner was 600 bucks.

Edited by NickAu1, 21 June 2014 - 08:43 PM.

#5 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:49 PM

oh yes, times change and so does cpu technology....and the next thing you know, you feel like wasted money is normal. very few items hold their value in the PC world.

but i can understand the enthusiasm, kind of like cars.   there is the motorist that can't get enough flash and squanders money away, then there is the motorist that isn't impressed with anything but the practical (i.e.  if it works, don't fix it)... sometimes i wonder about the differences.

Edited by synergy513, 21 June 2014 - 10:51 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#6 Taoki

Taoki
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

Thanks jonuk76. I didn't see that sort of CPU around my shops (online or offline), so I concluded they don't exist yet. Even more exciting to hear about 12-core / 24-thread ones! But that is indeed more than I'll probably need for the next decade. 8 cores is fine, although I fear your argument about the price might apply to that too :)

And I agree with the other comments, that it also matters if you need so much power. In my case there's primarily two reasons why I seek this; First of all, I don't upgrade often... once every 4 or so years at best. So when I do, I seek to get the latest tech so that it lasts for a while. I also assume that these are standards which should be common for most desktop computers within the next few years... I guess being a nerd in this domain I wouldn't wish to feel left behind either :P

Second, I do occasionally use such CPU power, even if not all the time. I do 3D animation in Blender for instance, and render speeds rely a lot on CPU and less on the GPU. File indexing in Linux also seems to be very resource costly (I had to disable Baloo in KDE for this reason), since the process eats a lot of CPU while the Kernel fills up a ton of memory due to inode / dentry / page caches caused by disk activity. Otherwise I assume a faster CPU and architecture makes everyday applications work a lot better in general.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 07:51 AM

I think realistically processors with the specifications of the higher end Xeon's (8/10/12 core etc) filtering down into consumer systems is a way off.

I guess it would depend on how seriously you used the 3D animation software as to whether it would be worth investing in a system like this.  If it was on a professional or semi-professional basis and having that amount of CPU power would make you more productive I guess it could be worth looking into.

Here is the line up in that particular range.  My understanding is that most of them work with high end X79 LGA2011 motherboards.  If you wanted to go nuts they'll also work in dual processor systems with a suitable workstation class motherboard.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users