Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have I completely destroyed my laptop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonSpider

CrimsonSpider

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:30 PM

Hello all,

My first post in a little while! I basically have a Samsung NP350V5C-A06UK and the screen broke a while ago which was a huge pain. I then bought a new screen which I had successfully replaced and was working. I was then finishing up and clipping the plastic casing back, (the one around the monitor). The corners clipped back totally fine and so did the top. As I tried to clip the bottom-middle one back into place, I put a little too much pressure onto the wire behind it. All of a sudden, the laptop switched off and white smoke started billowing out of the machine. After that, my machine would not switch on, and has not done so since.

So, my question is:

1. Do I replace the wire behind the monitor?

2. Have I damaged the entire machine?

3. Should I throw this thing away?

Thank you!

"Don’t worry if it doesn’t work right. If everything did, you’d be out of a job."
(Mosher’s Law of Software Engineering)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:00 PM

It's probably worth your while taking it apart for a visual examination to see if you can identify where this smoke originated. It may well have been the cable that you over-compressed, but that by itself would not have generated smoke. This suggests that you short circuited something and drew fairly high currents through part of the motherboard.

If it appears that only the cable is damaged and it is (1) fairly easy to replace and (2) fairly cheap, then it is worth replacing the cable to see what happens, and check any fuses you come across as well. After all, it may work perfectly - but you may have to prepare yourself for a trip to your local disposal site. You nave nothing to lose by having a look.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:20 AM

The perils of working with a PC that 1. Has the power turned on 2. The battery plugged in or 3. Both. Sometimes you just must, I understand that.

If after doing everything Chris Cosgrove said the pc seems to be booting but the screen is not working, You could try plugging in an external monitor into it, If you can. Then if it boots that way and everything is ok, If not?

Edited by NickAu1, 22 June 2014 - 12:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users