Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How should I replace Microsoft Security Essentials?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 KCav

KCav

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:50 PM

My system runs great I don't want to upgrade.  What should I do to protect my desktop computer running Windows XP Professional 32-bit -  now that Microsoft Soft has terminated MSE?

Edited by hamluis, 21 June 2014 - 06:00 PM.
Moved from XP to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jeffce

jeffce

Bleepin' Super Saiyan

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 06:05 PM

Personally I would HIGHLY recommend that you upgrade your system to any Windows system above XP whether it be Vista, 7, 8.....  Windows XP is just not secure at all regardless of whether or not you are using an antivirus program.  While many antivirus programs are still supporting their own software on Windows XP systems, this still won't prevent you from becoming infected.  If it were my system, I would upgrade to another Windows system or Linux.

I will give you an example of how this is basically working with the "holes" that are being left behind on your system and the new ones beginning.  Imagine a black t-shirt that you hang on a hanger.... Splash some bleach on the shirt and of course there will be discoloration and eventually have holes erode through the shirt that you can't fix.  That is what is happening to your system....you are having "holes" created on your system that can't be fixed regardless of what you do.

If you must stay with XP, I would recommend Avast as an MSE substitute to use and also not use Internet Explorer any longer....possible an open source browser like Pale Moon.

Hope this helps you.

WFxJwA4.png

mvp_horizontal_fullcolor-(copy2).jpeg

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:36 PM

MPC Threat Research & Response Blog: Microsoft Extends Antimalware Support for Windows XP

Microsoft has announced the Windows XP end of support date of April 8, 2014. After this date, Windows XP will no longer be a supported operating system. To help organizations complete their migrations, Microsoft will continue to provide updates to our antimalware signatures and engine for Windows XP users through July 14, 2015. This does not affect the end-of-support date of Windows XP, or the supportability of Windows XP for other Microsoft products, which deliver and apply those signatures.

However, I have to agree with jeffce about upgrading the OS. If that is not an option I also agree with switching to avast and not using Internet Explorer.

avast will continue to support Windows XP for home and business users

...avast will continue to support Windows XP users by creating protection modules and detections to cover vulnerabilities and other security problems for at least the next three years...

Majority of avast customers running Windows XP said they will rely on avast to protect them
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:35 PM

jeffce makes perfect sense to me.  You've got to really want to live dangerously to stay with XP.  Upgrade or go with Linux, those are the only options that make any sense to me.  I've got Windows 7 Pro with XP Mode on several computers, but I'm keeping out of XP Mode unless something really really unexpected comes along to make me change my mind.

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

#5 B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/

Bleepin' Freestyler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:16 AM

MSE is not a good choice for Windows XP because it doesn't have some features like Network Inspection System.

Also MSE is not that good. Check this out => Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 Crowned the Best Anti-Virus in the World After New Tests. Yes, there is no antivirus that catches everything but however even MS confessed that MSE provides baseline" protection. I would replace it with Comodo Internet Security 5.12 (I don't like version 7), avast! 9 or Qihoo Internet Security 360 (to be sure that the system is protected from zero-day threats as well as other threats):

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/av-test-xp-exploit-test-april-2014.363692/

http://www.360safe.com/news/?p=727

Also Qihoo and Comodo Firewall is a great combo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hDagOSk3rQ

The same is valid for avast! and Comodo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct0Wx8JaCUc

Keep in mind that Qihoo had some privacy issues in the past but I would rather evaluate a product based on its effectiveness.

If you decide to stay with MSE then you can add MalwareDefender to controls what an application is allowed to do and not allowed to do. It monitors what each application tries to do, how it use the internet and give you the ability to block any suspicious activity occurring on your computer, although this would only be advisable for experienced users. More information about HIPS can be found here: What is Host Intrusion Prevention System (HIPS) and how does it work?

Keep in mind to choose carefully in order to avoid conflicts or instability caused by incompatible security programs.
Also having more than one "real-time" program can be a drain on your PC's efficiency...

If these kind of programs are difficult for you to use then you can use a standard user account. If you need administrative privileges to perform some tasks, then you can use Run As or log on as the administrator account for that specific task.

Regards,

Georgi

cXfZ4wS.png

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2014 - 01:21 PM

BTW KCav...Microsoft Security Essentials should be removed via Add/Remove Programs (or Programs and Features) in Control Panel. However, this method does not always work as intended especially if you have not terminated msseces.exe in Task Manager and stopped/disabled the MSE service first. If you encounter issues or errors during attempted removal, please refer to:

* How to manually uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials if you cannot uninstall using Add/Remove Programs
* Uninstalling Microsoft Security Essentials by Stephen Boots last updated 01/12/2014
* Microsoft Security Essentials Removal Tool <- if needed

There is also a Microsoft Fix it solution (step 3) for removing all MSE registry subkeys with MicrosoftFixit50692.msi in Article ID: 2635095.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:17 AM

I would also like to point out what wpgwpg has for a signature:

Everyone with a computer should back his system up to an external hard drive regularly.  :thumbsup:

Do a system image or disk image backup on a regular basis with software like Macrium Free. Always make sure that the bootable disk you create with the software can detect all of your drives including  your external.  Having regular system backups and a bootable recovery disk would let you retrieve your files in case the drive fails or becomes unbootable because of malware. If more people did this, they would save themselves a lot of heartache.

I  agree with B-boy/StyLe/  that Qihoo 360IS with Comodo would be a great combination. Qihoo says they will still support 360IS but more emphasis will be places on their Total Security Product which I believe does not equal 360IS at this point. Because you have XP Pro, you may also want to do some research on creating a Software Restriction Policy.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:58 AM

Backing up your data is one of the most important maintenance tasks users should perform on a regularly, yet it's one of the most neglected areas.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

I was reading this thread about Uninstalling MSE and wondered if I got it totally off?  How would I check to see if it is all gone?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#10 wpgwpg

wpgwpg

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:08 AM

Did you follow the above instructions?  Can you find it in the Start menu?  Have you successfully installed another antivirus program?

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 02:36 PM

Open Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files and look to see if the Microsoft Security Essentials folder is still present. If so, check inside to see if any files are left.

Click on the Start Orb and in the Search box type: services.msc or simply go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools and double-click on the Services option. If prompted by the User Access Control, click the Continue button.

Windows Services will open and provide a list of all services, their startus and startup type. Scroll through the list and see of the MSE service is still present or has been removed.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

I will look at this tonight!  I did it with Add-Remove Programs...I think lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

I did it with Add-Remove Programs...I think

That is the recommended way.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

Looks like we lost KCav? probably to some nasty infection lol.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

KCav hasn't been back since posting this topic which is not unusual with some members. Once they get the answer they need they leave until its time to ask for help again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users