Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdwCleaner Anti PUP option not visible in tools.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ELDill7

ELDill7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

I have installed adwcleaner to get rid of ad-ware on my pc . It then tells me that I have look up an option in the tools which will stop the ad-ware coming back again (which it has every time its cleaned it) however the only option available is quarrentine which as far as I can tell is not the right thing I need. Do you know how/where to find it?   

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

>> It then tells me that I have look up an option in the tools which will stop the ad-ware coming back again <<

You need to Empty the quarantine area to  fully remove the items.

Open AdwCleaner and hit the Uninstall button. This will remove the program And all items in quarantine.

I have found that a "fresh copy" should be used every 2 or 3 runs, maximum.

AdwCleaner[S0].txt should not be allowed above [S3] or it is full of Adware.

At the moment you are only saving quarantined items so they can be reinstalled if required.

Note the final lines in my reply on How to use AdwCleaner .

• Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
• To restore an item that has been deleted (if necessary):
• Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.

• To remove all items Re-open AdwCleaner and hit Uninstall to remove quarantined Adware.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:58 PM

AdwCleaner was initially released with two Tool options: Quarantine Manager & HOSTS Anti-PUP/Adware. The "Hosts Anti-PUP/Adware" reduced the risk of installing potentially unwanted programs and adware by modifying the HOSTS file...adding entries which blocked known websites addresses that distributed PUPs. However, development of the "Hosts Anti-PUP/Adware" tool was discontinued in v3.208 (11/05/14) and that option was removed so it is no longer available.

AdwCleaner is frequently updated. The current version is 3.212 dated 06/05/14
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users